Office Chair Graveyard - spares or old chairs

Closed Thread

Office Chair Graveyard - spares or old chairs

In your travels has anyone come across a place where they have either office chair spares ( all Chinese office chairs are made from a very small selection of similar components ) of a stack of old crappy chairs or poor condition second hand units.

My fav chair has died and needs a transplant. It's Sooooooo comfy.

There used to be a large second hand office chair place on the ground floor of one of the industrial buildings in San Po Kong on the corner of Tai Yau Street / Sheung Hei Street. Have no idea if it's still there but will pass by this week and take a look. If its still there I will let you know.

On Kings Road between Tsing Fung Street and Wing Hing Street there are a couple 2nd hand office furniture stores.

i doubt any of the components will fit, why not try located the distributor/manufacturer and find the actually component

On this topic - does anyone have a chair shop to recommend?
    we get our chairs from Posh in Central, they're OK I guess, but far from great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Sorry I do not have any suggestion, but what I can tell you is to avoid IKEA. I've bought from them what looks like a "disposable" chair, you use a couple of times then throw away and buy another one...

I bought second hand office furniture from a shop in Lai Chi Kok and had it delivered today. Some good stuff and they had chairs too. It seems they have a couple of shops all around Hong Kong, have a look here:

MESCO Second Hand Office Furniture

(their web site doesn't seem to reflect what they really have in stock)

Last edited by 100LL; 16-05-2012 at 05:50 PM.

I thank you all and to Imparonoic - you don't know much about manufacturing in China I guess.
    Most factories just go to the market and find the mech they need and build around whatever.
    You can often tell what area a chair comes from by looking at the pressings. To find the FACTORY that made it? Maybe if wanted to order a container full. You want to take the balance of it off my hand because I only want one part of one chair.

100LL - they have a place in Fo Tan which is a few stops down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    You could look at Wing On, or a couple places between there and Western Market on Connaught Road that have a different range from POSH. Or if you want a designer brand that POSH doesn't carry, try HumanScale:

Humanscale

In the 6000HKD plus price bracket.

Had a walk through in San Po Kong yesterday and that place has sadly gone.

Certainly right on the components though. 90% of these chair parts are generic as are the components of many China made items. Not sure what imparanoics on about but certainly bears no relation to actual fact.