Like Tree37Likes

The Life of a Hong Kong Tai Tai

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Life of a Hong Kong Tai Tai

No one in this video seems all that happy.

henryvera likes this.

ahh I feel quite sorry for her, I didn't expect her to start crying but then I can't see how she can be happy if she barely gets to spend any time with her kids or husband.
    I wonder if she could choose, whether she would prefer to have less money and lose all the labels if it meant she would see her family more.
    The son 'yeah my parents never really gave me anything' hmmmm yeaaah !

dear giant likes this.

yeah, the kid is a real star
    I'd like to see Louis Therroux interviewing a tai tai...

'Miss Tai Tai was buying an expensive handbag, I was unsure as to why'

Fiona in HKG and shri like this.

The lady sort of contradicts herself a number of times, including once very clearly after the ten-minute mark. She says that she would like to become more independent but also that she is happiest when she spends time with her family. She also talks about how her husband is often away on business trips and does not tell her everything anymore. That sounds like an oblique reference to affairs.

I honestly do feel for her, but she is in a somewhat better position (at least financially/security-wise) than regular HK women whose children grow up and start lives of their own and whose husbands take up with younger women -- even octogenarian minibus drivers have relationships with ladies across the border.

If she hasn't already, she should begin discretely consulting an attorney and getting some advice on how to shore up her position and prepare for the worst.

Watercooler and Natfixit like this.

Also, I agree that the kid doesn't shine in his segment, but (1.) most teenagers have their heads up their rears most of the time and (including me at that age) and (2.) his parents have been sending him abroad (though it's not clear when that started) and he's had relatively little contact with them so they have to bear part of the blame for any feelings of estrangement he may be feeling.

Natfixit likes this.

There is so much more she could do with her time and money. Fur bedspreads and cushion covers, poke your eye out jewellery, blinged up manicures, all manner of labels. Simplify your life and focus on things more important than your own appearance.

Give back to your community - and not only by purchasing high-value items.

Good god why would anyone aspire to this meaningless life? I can understand the poor wanting money - but honestly - I'd rather be poor with an interesting life and good relationships than one of these! She could at least get involved in some community or charity work and spend her time on something useful that might give her more meaning.

Fiona in HKG and bookblogger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    There is so much more she could do with her time and money. Fur bedspreads and cushion covers, poke your eye out jewellery, blinged up manicures, all manner of labels. Simplify your life and focus on things more important than your own appearance.

Give back to your community - and not only by purchasing high-value items.
    Snap! (10 char)
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

what is that woman wearing???!

Quote Originally Posted by motoX:
    what is that woman wearing???!
    Her ego!

The old adage of mutton dressed as lamb comes to mind.
    Scorpio01 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast