Getting to airport for a 7.30 am flight from CUHK

Closed Thread

Getting to airport for a 7.30 am flight from CUHK

I need to take a 7.30 am flight from HKIA and need advise on the best way to get there from CUHK. I guess I should aim to be at HKIA atleast by 5.30 am.
    This excludes my normal option of taking a taxi to Shatin and then taking A41. Taking a taxi all the way to the airport is too expensive for me. N 42 lists two runs one at 3.50 am and another at 4.50 am. Is there any other alternatives to these?
    The last option would be to take a 11pm - midnight bus to HKIA and try to catch a shut eye at the airport.

Any alternatives and suggestions are welcome

Can you check in online? No need to get to HKIA 2 hours before if you do that.

If u r flying cx u can check ur bags in 24 hrs prior to the flight

Are you able to afford a pre-booked taxi which might shave a bit off the fare?

Thank you for the replies. I can check in onlines. Still, I think I'll need to take the 4.50 atleast as I am not very comfortable or a confident flyer yet to go at the last minute. Nope, not CX flying Thai. Thanks for the infor about the pre-booked taxis will check it out.If that doesn't work I will probably try to change the flight, their second flight to BKK is at 12 something, which would probably be more convenient for me.

Ask what the latest check-in time is. I rarely turn up with more than an hour to go but then again never have check-in baggage.

There used to be a good discount (30% or so) by using a regular taxi driver to the airport but with the flag fall increase and other changes there is not so much a discount for long haul taxis now.

The other option is to grab a cab to catch the A31 from Tuen Wan West railway station. It starts running at 5:25 The Kowloon Motor Bus Co. (1933) Ltd 九龍巴士(ä¸€ä¹ä¸‰ä¸ ) It goes around the houses to start so you might want to catch it at Metro Plaza instead of the originating station.

Taxi approx $130 and 25 mins
    A31 approx $20 and 60 mins

My not save enough if pennies are really tight (taxi approx $300 with tolls from CUHK?)

Changing the tickets should cost at least ~500HKD, so unless you have not bought them that's maybe not such a good idea. Personally, I think the A41 at 5:30 will give you more than enough time (roads are absolutely empty at this hour - not that I've ever seen a traffic jam at Shing Mun tunnel, but still), but if you're nervous then take the 4:50 - it will be at Shatin Central no sooner than 5:05.
    The other option (that I used when I lived on campus) was the minibus to Mongkok, and then the night bus to the airport. But unless you fly out at 5am, that won't be necessary.

I reckon the 0450 hrs bus is your safest (and probably cheapest) option.

Thank you very much for the suggestions everyone. I managed to somehow convince the airline to change my flight for a nominal fee. My luck had it as there was someone else wanting the opposite change of flights at the same time I went to the airline office. Your advises would be helpfull in future to come. Specially regarding the minibus to Mong kok, may I know from where I could take it near CU?