Racism Rampant in HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    i am ... married...
    One of the main reason why they try to charge entrance money at some of the disco's like Neptunes / Fenwicks...
    What a very tolerant wife you must have...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    What a very tolerant wife you must have...
    Why do you ask that.

>> You say that as though they are mutually exclusive.

Not exclusive ... but ignorance can be fixed.

Why do you ask that.
    I suspect that PDLM was highlighting in your post that you say you are married, and seem pretty familiar with the door staff of Fenwicks, Browns, and one other (sorry, can't be bothered to look back at the original message).

Fenwicks (and I assume the others) have the reputation of being a bit of a meat market, the implication [as I understood it] being why would a married guy waste his time at Fenwicks? And as a result, your wife obviously doesn't mind/tolerates you frequenting said locations.

Why do you ask that.
    Well it was a statement rather than a question, because I don't know any wives who would be happy for their husbands to be frequenting Fenwicks or Neptunes (they both being essentially brothels).
    Last edited by PDLM; 30-10-2007 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Well it was a statement rather than a question, because I don't know any wives who would be happy for their husbands to be frequenting Fenwicks or Neptunes (they both being essentially brothels).
    Ah. Yes you could say that they are essentially brothels, which disco's in Wan Chai are not. Just because if you go in one doesnt mean you are going to take someting out. It all depends on if you can control yourself. Once in a while its fun to look at some eye candy. Wahey!!!!!!!!

I think we need to organise a fact finding mission to visit all the disco's in Wan Chai and see which ones are brothels and which are not. Woo Hoo!!!!!

All I said was that I don't know any wives who are happy to accept that line of reasoning. If that is your chosen lifestyle you're lucky to have found the wife that you did.

Totally agree HK isn't bad at all when it comes to Rasism. Sure the older generation will have their remarks, but overall a brown person should feel quite comfortable here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_By_Nature:
    Totally agree HK isn't bad at all when it comes to Rasism. Sure the older generation will have their remarks, but overall a brown person should feel quite comfortable here.
    agree. i have seen racism in hk and i don't like it, but ok compared to certain parts of london. and unlike in new york where if you're south asian or arab at least u don't have to get one of those "i'm proud to be american" type stickers for your car here in hk
    Last edited by ewqer; 30-10-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Star Gazer:
    women specially in south east asia like to be fair and white because they want to be like the hollywood stars. hence you will see a lot of whitening products here and very limited bronzing make-up
    This is not quite so. Everything you say it true about the products, but the motive is quite different. My wife (a Hong Kong Chinese) doesn't have the white skin - which her Mother would think is a shame because by appearance of her skin she looks like she works in the field as a poor person.

On the contrary, if you have whiter skin it shows you are not a poorer person who works out in the field - or some other labour position. In fact I asked my wife now who says, "if you check out many ancient Chinese paintings you will see that many of the Chinese in these paintings are pale." This way way way pre-dates Hollywood.

The newer generation is a little different, some think the tanned skin is sexy (my wife has had some comments to this effect). Also in Hong Kong tanning cream is on the market. White people hearing things from other white people is often misguided (I myself am a white guy, and I say it as one).