Racism Rampant in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Racism Rampant in HK

I don't know how many of you have felt this....but being a brown I have experienced it quite a lot many times...in bars, public places, office....
    why it is that ppl snub u just bcos u happen to be of darker complexion? Its not very open thing, and rather subtle I'd say. Guess ppl r doing it unknowingly.... I am not trying to point fingers at the white ppl....but just trying to understand why it happens??? could someone put some light on to it???

Hi

Sorry to hear about your situation, who is being racist towards you? are you male or female? and what ethnic group are you? the answers to these questions will probably provide a clearer picture to the motive of there racism towards you.

usually I find people are racist because as they feel threatened (irrationally mind you) I have noticed in HK that if you have a darker skin the people tend to stare not 100% sure why I guess it is because there are not so many darker skinned people in HK.

I'm a white guy and i myself have faced some racism, usually the women treat me well in HK but sometimes the guys are not so polite especially if I’m out with female Chinese friend(s), your skin colour can not be changed and neither should it be, sometimes it is difficult to change peoples minds, for now unless it is spoiling your life I would try and let it wash over you, just ignore those type of people, they are not worth your time anyway.

Good Luck

Dan

Are you sure it is not you who has an inferiority complex? What I see in here, the shops are full of whitening creams and lotions.So obviously the natives here have the same problem as you. It is unbelievable, as we "whites " go to all out to get brown, lay in the sun, getting fake tans etc... So who do you think looks better? Brown, yellow or white? We all think the browner the better. So keep this in mind and get "white" friends and you will see them turn green with envy about your skin color. I am!!!!

huh. i do think there is a difference between women in asia wanting to be 'fair' (instead of white) and wanting to be seen as a white women. that's just different kind of sense of beauty..

women specially in south east asia like to be fair and white because they want to be like the hollywood stars. hence you will see a lot of whitening products here and very limited bronzing make-up

the old chinese thinking is that if you are dark then you come from a peasant class.... think of the farmers toiling in the sun - so there is a bit of prejudice there

on the other hand, a lot of fair women in the western countries like to tan because they find tanned skin as exotic.

the current rage in japan apparently is dark tanned skin

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for your kind words....No I am not feeling threatened by any race or creed...I am a man, Indian mind you, and I like all races basically...and like to make friends....but I found that ppl do tend to treat me rather condescendingly...not all...but some...I don't mind...cos it doesn't really affect me...but it makes me think...as to what did I do to them except being friendly...that made them treat me like that......
    also in pubs they do at times ask me to pay an entry fee but not to the whites...may be because ppl feel (may be rightfully) that whites will spend good amount in their bars and an Indian won't be ...as he won't be able to afford...so guess its more economic driven....but then sheikhs should get maximum mileage...ha!

Ha .... i'm White and i'm skint.... so there is definatly little basis for them to make you pay to get in and not the white guys ..... what a bunch of W***ers, yeah you shouldn't worry about such people, i find people like this are usually worth very little in real terms.

Hope things improve 4 you

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Hi Dan,
    Thanks for your kind words....No I am not feeling threatened by any race or creed...I am a man, Indian mind you, and I like all races basically...and like to make friends....but I found that ppl do tend to treat me rather condescendingly...not all...but some...I don't mind...cos it doesn't really affect me...but it makes me think...as to what did I do to them except being friendly...that made them treat me like that......
    also in pubs they do at times ask me to pay an entry fee but not to the whites...may be because ppl feel (may be rightfully) that whites will spend good amount in their bars and an Indian won't be ...as he won't be able to afford...so guess its more economic driven....but then sheikhs should get maximum mileage...ha!
    I think KIA is still away on his business trip otherwise he might have given you an insight. But when I mentioned to him that I ( a white anglo saxon ) found it unnerving that locals would only sit next to me on the bus if it was the last seat available and then sit away from you at an angle , we had quite a conversation about the preconceived ideas about non Chinese locals.

Basically all blacks are drug dealers, Indians / Pakistanis are dirty or selling dodgy gear and whites are rich colonialists that locals feel uncomfortable being close to. This refers more to older locals rather than teenagers, whom I find refreshingly normal.

Please people do not make me out to be spreading bad vibes about these groups . It was a conversation about preconceptions, not a fascist rally.

Point taken

Hi Dan & Boris,
    I understand what u r saying and I agree wholeheartedly...the idea of this thread was basically to know more...rather than point fingers....cos I know for sure that even whites do face racism....but it happens out of inferior complex of non whites....and superior complex in vice versa situation....
    but yes some incidents haven't and wudn't make me go against any race....
    I find chinese locals r rather in their own shells....and take a long time to connect to u...especially at work.....and lil chance u give them...they'll go into their shell and forget if u even exist....wierd....

give me a break!!

I have no idea of what you have gone through ...but xenophobia is a human condition ...ive lived in a lot of places and the expats tend to play up the race card .. you are different from what they are used to ...you will be treated differently ...some of the locals will be kinder ...and based on their experience, some will be not so much....get used to it ..nothing different about it in HK....frankly given the vastness of the difference in the culture ...i have been pleasantly surprised ( and I am not white ...{thank god, ...dont u just hate those damn ...)})

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast