Like Tree94Likes

Microaggressions

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rpl22:
    I think one of the main difference is that in Japan, a lot of foreigners really try hard to fit in, by speaking the local language, being involved in associations, in the neighborhood, etc. and in that case it is very offensive to be othered constantly.

It seems in Hong Kong most caucasians are seen as tourist or as residents who do not wish to integrate the local life (entering kids in local schools, being involved in local associations etc...).
    I guess in that case, there is no reason to be offended by so called microagression.

I would like to know the opinions of those who are fluent in Cantonese, or entered their kids in local cantonese schools : Do you still get odd treatment (being adressed by "hallo Hallo" despite being fluent in cantonese for example) ? Does it somehow affect your quality of life here ?

many thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences.
    1. I'm rather good at Cantonese (not fluent though)
    2. odd treatment? No
    3. affect my quality of life:? No

Most of the times it's in your mind and nowhere else.

As for the language thing, my tea lady in the office or my doorman at home know I'm OK in Cantonese and we chit chat in both from time to time, I never for a second felt offended if she/he was to reply to me in English when I asked her something in canto...on the other hand she/he is trying to make an effort to communicate in a language I am more familiar with. I should be grateful for this.

I have a feeling I know where this thread will be heading to but....

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Why would you address somebody in a non-native language anyway? So it's only logical they would reply back to you in english.
    It makes sense because many people here speak great English.

However, in this case, the person asked in Mandarin can speak correct Mandarin, and basically no English. In that case it makes no sense to reply with a multitude of "Hallo" when one has the ability to reply in Mandarin.

Its true my case is different here, because I cant speak the local language (only Mandarin, which many can actually speak here, even if only basic). Thats why I want to know more about the experiences of those who try to fit in.

Something I notice also is the huge difference between the reactions to this subject in Taiwan and here in Hong Kong.
    In Taiwan the debate has produced more than 25 forum pages of debate, which mostly aknowlodge the microaggression as truly existing and bothering.
    However, so far here in Hong Kong the main opinion is more that the problem doesnt exist and therefore shouldnt be addressed.

Totally agree TB. If you let stuff like that get to you all the time you truly are better off just heading to that airport

By "many", do you actually refer to expats, locals or both?
    If you mean many local people speak GREAT English, kindly point me towards their location as I haven't seen that "many" GREAT English speakers here.

If you mean expats, then naturally, there'll be tons of them.

Ah ha! Gotcha!

Quote Originally Posted by ExpatNeighbor:
    By "many", do you actually refer to expats, locals or both?
    I was referring to locals such as sales people, clerks, shop employees, policemen etc...
    maybe not great English, but enough to make themselves understood at least.

So in short rpl22, sorry, in HK we just smile and get on with the important things in life.. like what to eat for lunch, where to go hiking this weekend...you know, the real stuffs.

dear giant likes this.

You guys are pretty good at English!

Having spent last week in Tokyo, arriving back to HKG on Monday, I have to say that the level of English is quite good these days, be it the staff at Lawson/Family Mart, to the station masters, or just random people in the street when asking for directions.

On 3 separate occasions where we asked for directions, we got help in a very genuine/helpful manner, even the young man that was sweeping the floor at Shirokane-Takanawa metro station spoke English, well enough to help us choose the right exit that would lead us to Burger Mania lol as we were on a mission to pay that eatery a visit.

Our very basic map downloaded off the Burger mania website wasn't to scale, so, once we were on foot we asked a nice man in a suit who was walking toward us, if we were heading in the right direction ? He pulled out his phone and accessed his GPS and then said that we only about 500 metres away from where we wanted to go, we exchanged smiles and went our separate ways while commenting to my wife on how this sort of thing just doesn't happen enough in HKG ! lol

When you experience a simple but positive exchange like that, it can really make or break your view of a place and have to say, it made the burger (below), taste just that much better lol... Love Tokyo and yet to have a negative experience that upset me enough to comment about it, it's yet to happen.
    Name:  DSCF4618.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  498.2 KB

Last edited by Skyhook; 23-05-2012 at 11:42 AM.

I was referring to locals such as sales people, clerks, shop employees, policemen etc...
    maybe not great English, but enough to make themselves understood at least.
    Still not very true here. A few local English speakers maybe, understable - fewer. Maybe that's why the so called microaggression (if it really exists) does not affect us here. Locals can't comment on my use of chopsticks in decent English.
    dear giant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast