clean air and water

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    tex

clean air and water

first the air. was it worse than usual today (wednesday the 20th of oct)? i sensed it was (lungs, throat felt not 100%). just wondering. and what does one do on days when it's really bad? air purifier in the home (i'm skeptical about these)? filters? masks on the street (starting to look like a good idea)? what?

now water. friend told me her family boils the tap water. i know it's not necessary but is it commonly done just the same? what do you guys do?

Last edited by tex; 21-10-2004 at 06:11 AM.

For air quality, Cant do much i guess... Wait untill Govt wake up and change their 17 yrs old standards and methodology to measure air pollution... oh yes and wait another few years untill Govt finishes consultation process on new measures and few more years till they come up with alternative solutions... and few more years till consultation and public view on selection of best soultion.... and.......

For water, Generally its fine neverthless better boil it. It come out clean from their side but you never know what happens on the way even possibly near your end (home)... Hope for the best and plan for the worst....

I bought filters for my tap for the purpose of washing dishes and brushing teeth, but I still only drink from a bottle. Filters are sold at Digital--like $300HK or something.

I don't do anything to the tap water - happy to use it for whatever.

We definately boil the water. While the major pipes and the supply is clean, most of the contamination occurs in the "last mile" or in your building's plumbing.

i drink filtered water direct

fly

Re: the water, sometimes it may depend on your building's age, and even the neighbourhood pipes (it has to come from somewhere, right?) I found those filters that attach to your faucet don't do very much except maybe some peace of mind; Boiling the water is just common practice for us, and by itself won't actually remove any micro particles and such. We ended up getting an RO filter installed under the counter (check on the web "Reverse Osmosis"). Of course it also depends if you are renting your flat, how much you would like to invest since it's not something you would easily leave behind if you moved.

For the air quality, an air purifier has helped us. Make sure your a/c units are clean and you may consider some of the newer technologies like Sharp's "plasmacluster" and Panasonic, etc. have similar products out. Check out this link, though it may be slightly outdated: http://www.cleartheair.org.hk/aircleaners.htm

One of the things that drives me nuts is that the buses have exhaust pipes that aim right at the sidewalks. I mean something as simple as extending these pipes upwards through the roof (as they are doing in the US now) goes a long way to improve the "neck level" air pollution that most people experience every day.

fly

These are the same buses used in London, it's not a regional thing, its corporate/manufacturing issue.

I think people are too weak! Its not at a point that its unbreathable/undrinkable. Get over it and live life without thinking everythings killing you. Wearing masks in the street is just pathetic!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast