Weavel Pasta

Closed Thread

Weavel Pasta

Hi,

Got a bit of a weird one. Twice within the space of three weeks we've bought pasta from different chains and different brands and upon opening the pack discovered little bugs crawling over the food. I'm no entomologist, but they look like weavels.

Is this a common problem or did lightning strike twice?

kg.

Never had it from the supermarket but have had it at home. Not sure what can be done about it.

weavel pasta

A frequent problem for me at home, never from anything I buy from the store. The bugs are certainly weavels and they like anything with starch. My suggestion is to only by pasta sold in clear packaging; if there are weavels you can see tiny black things moving around on the pasta.

The Wikipedia reference infers you can get eColi from them but this reference says they are not harmful. Having lived with them in various tropical climes round the world and never having been affected I would go with the latter.

this has happened to me too lately - in rice (twice) and in Weetabix Oatibix.
    any ideas how to prevent them appearing?

refrigerate them

I think Park'n'Shop had a major issue with this with their pasta. They recalled a large amount of pasta that was contaminated with insects. If you want to keep 'em out, you can go with refrigeration or just invest in some seriously airtight containers.