Reverse Culture Shock

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Its happening in the dating game nowadays too where you are judged by your salary and that can be a deal breaker/maker in this town.
    No money, no honey as they say

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Its happening in the dating game nowadays too where you are judged by your salary and that can be a deal breaker/maker in this town.
    Too right. I very briefly dated a HK Chinese girl and was invited to meet her mother in a Restaurant. After brief introductions we sat down and ordered food. Within seconds, the conversation went as follows:

Mother: how long have you been in HK?
    Me: 18 months
    Mother: Can I see your business card?
    Mother: I see - your profession is ...
    Mother: How much do you earn?
    Me: Well, I ....
    Mother: where do you live and how much is your rent...

It went on like this for a while and all along the girl's mother was calculating my disposable income to see if it was enough for her darling daughter.

She need not have bothered. The girl and I decided to call it quits shortly after that.

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    Mother: how long have you been in HK?
    Me: 18 months
    Mother: Can I see your business card?
    Mother: I see - your profession is ...
    Mother: How much do you earn?
    Me: Well, I ....
    Mother: where do you live and how much is your rent...

It went on like this for a while and all along the girl's mother was calculating my disposable income to see if it was enough for her darling daughter.

She need not have bothered. The girl and I decided to call it quits shortly after that.
    I had dates like that too. They always asked "how much money do you make?" and "are you successful?". Of course, the Chinese measure success in $$$$.

I simply stopped dating Chinese girls.

[QUOTE=style;199599] I simply stopped dating Chinese girls QUOTE]

I can understand that. I have given up trying to have a relationship in HK. Am just here to work. If I want to have a relationship I'd rather go back to the UK than lurch from one disastrous liaison to another here.