Bugs in Northern NT

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Bugs in Northern NT

So these little critters are eating me alive. I thought it was mosquitoes but I found out that it's not. They're these tiny flying bugs that look like a black speck and once they land on you, you're bit! You'll see an itchy bump that looks like a mosquitoe bite, but it disappears after 10 minutes. You think you're in the clear, but the next day, it swells up to the size of a friggen pancake! And it takes a lot longer than mosquito bites to clear... like a whole week!
    Anyone know about these little f^#kers? What are some preventive measures I can take to minimize the risk of getting bit by them?

I have the same little f^#kers in my area in clearwater bay, but I have never had the same reaction as you. Best thing is for you to spray insect repellent on your body apart from that I dont think there is any thing you could do. I get all kinds of flying stuff in my area. I have had to cut and kill the grass outside of my garden as it was getting to much.

also try to clean your strom drains if you have any around your house as the dirty water can breed lots of stuff. i have to clean my lots of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    They're these tiny flying bugs that look like a black speck and once they land on you, you're bit!
    I agree clean your place from top to bottom like you have never clean before...don't leave any corner untouched....including drain pipes....under the sink....window sills....above the door jam.

Then see how you do....

You may actually be having an allergic reaction to the little black bugs. I have been bit by them up in Sai Kung several times and have a similar reaction. Not sure how to keep them from biting aside from the usual bug repellant, but a topical antihistamine helped me a lot after getting bit. You can also take an oral antihistamine, but it has more side effects.

Oh, my mom is a clean-a-holic so the place is clean! But I usually get bit when I'm outside in the yard.

Yeah, seems like I have an unusually shitty reaction to it... my parents don't get it.

Whats the name of these mofos anyway? I wanna wiki it.

I live on HK Island and I've been bitten by these things, it happens when I take my girls outside to play and we're near bushes/plants etc., I'm the only one in my family that gets bitten and the next day the bite area is swollen and grows to the size of a 'pancake' and itches like hell. I had about 30 of them two weeks ago and my arms and legs were gross (so my girls said!). I now take Apo-Cetirizine (relieves allergy symptoms) and a patch called Moskigo. I put two patches on, one around the belt area and one on the inseam of either trousers or shorts. So far I haven't been bitten again. Fingers crossed this is working.

oh man. i had a similar experience at a saikung bbq b4. they bit like 30times on my ankles and some on my legs and arms. The itching and swelling didn't peak until 24 hrs later or so so i thought i had caught some funky rash. Luckily the dermatologist said they were just insect bites. He gave me some elomet salve to put on which killed the itchiness and i think helped with swelling. Took a litttle over a week for the bumps to disappear. Looks like others had the same experience. good luck!

less bugs in an estate then houses in villages?

Hey Eddy, what part of Fanling do you live? I experienced many kinds of creepy crawlies when I was living in Sheung Shui Wai (old historic walled village in Sheung Shui).

I have found that you are more likely to have bugs if you live in a house over an apartment in an estate. On the 2nd flood in the walled village with a moat around it, there were many bugs. Up here on the 25th floor in Fanling Center there are very rarely any bugs at all.

Hi Dean,I live on Lau Shui Heung Road, off Sha Tau Kok Rd. In a house surrounded by bush! My parents just moved here a few months ago from Tai Wai because they have 5 big dogs (my dad is a dog trainer) and he needs a place with a big yard.

I use to complain about having to stay in Tai Wai... now I wish I can stay in Tai Wai again!

Last edited by Eddy Mundo; 05-11-2007 at 10:46 PM.

ah - bush is your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    In a house surrounded by bush!
    Hey Eddy, I think here is your answer to the bug problem. It is what I have notices moving away from a house with bush on the 2nd floor to a private estate being up on the 25th floor.

You can get a a light that attracts bugs and then zaps them, I would get one of those inside the house. I had my Father buy me one as a wedding present, but I gave it to the people who are in my old house because I have zero need.

Another thing you can buy here in this part of Hong Kong is an electrified tennis racket. You hold down the button and 'whack' the bugs. It really is electrified, I showed some visitors from America one time who freaked when I taped it with a screw driver and sparks flew.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast