Like Tree9Likes

Which country has the highest standard of living in the world?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which country has the highest standard of living in the world?

This post is obviously not directly related to HK, but as this is an expat forum I thought it would be a good place to ask.

Based on this set of criteria, which country would you say has the highest standard of living:

1. Average salary

2. Crime and safety

3. Cost of living/cost of property

4. Average levels of taxation

5. Culture

6. Countryside

7. Quality of transport network

Weight up all those points, which country would you say has the highest standard of living in the world?

The United States, closely followed by Japan and a number of Western European countries, then Australia and NZ, depending on the relative weighting of the various factors you set forth.

Are we doing the OP's school project? Or is the OP just too lazy/dim to use Google?

Original Post Deleted
    wrong, usually on top are countries like Luxemburg, Liechtenstein and Monaco, followed by Switzerland.

the things that trips up the Scandinavian countries is taxation though they do usually come next. US, Japan, etc follow way further down.

among "real" countries i would venture that Switzerland comes out on top.
    dear giant likes this.

Wondering if any country can beat Bhutan's Gross National Happiness.

Morrison likes this.

L'Alsace....

Original Post Deleted
    am not looking at a survey but rather the OP's criteria. notably absent in the surveys you quoted are:
    2. Crime and safety
    5. Culture

i would guess that norway, sweden, netherlands or germany get set back on taxation. australia doesn't exactly have a great transport network.

against the OP's criteria it's subjective at the end, but i do stick with Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    am not looking at a survey but rather the OP's criteria. notably absent in the surveys you quoted are:
    2. Crime and safety
    5. Culture

i would guess that norway, sweden, netherlands or germany get set back on taxation. australia doesn't exactly have a great transport network.

against the OP's criteria it's subjective at the end, but i do stick with Switzerland
    Not to turn this into some crazed expat war about one's homeland and it's benefits, but I imagine Scandinavia and AUS/NZ would probably also suffer in the culture department. That isn't to say those countries don't have culture,but I would imagine that what people think of when they evaluate such things is "high culture" I.e. the classics of western civilization. That would require access to world famous museums, symphonies, opera companies sites of historical significance, etc. there isn't a deep enough roster in many of those places to compete with France, UK, Germany, Italy, or US for example. Though obviously those countries have their own drawbacks in other areas. Most Asian cities would also suffer for the simple reason that they tend to preserve aspects of Asian culture primarily, and western culture that is preserved is only a secondary concern, if it is a concern at all. The other problem with that is the very concept of the museum or opera or symphony is western, so that most non western countries are not predisposed to have as many of such institutions. If we however broaden the criteria to include "deep" culture, like local festivals, forms of art and the like, then Scandinavia and AUS/NZ and Asian countries might get their full appreciation.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    The United States, closely followed by Japan and a number of Western European countries, then Australia and NZ, depending on the relative weighting of the various factors you set forth.
    smaller EU countries ahrad of USA. Switzerland, Liechtenshtein....i would believe

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fraxbo:
    The other problem with that is the very concept of the museum or opera or symphony is western, .
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Chinese opera (Chinese: 戏曲/戲曲; Pinyin: xìqǔ) is a popular form of drama and musical theatre in China with roots going back as far as the third century CE. There are numerous regional branches of Chinese opera, of which the Beijing opera (Jingju) is one of the most notable.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast