haircut for a man

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Not sure if the barber shop can help you?

Quote Originally Posted by MyCsPiTTa:
    I went looking for Unique and found the building, but got pulled in by a "tout" at the entrance to a place called Christine Hair and Beauty Salon on the 9th floor. The "tout" told me that Unique got turned into a karaoke bar and the owner, Christine, moved it up to the 9th floor under the new name.

I don't know if I got duped or not, but the ladies there all had excellent english, were very professional and very friendly, animated conversationalists (not that I'm much of a talker at hairdressers...).

At $70 for a cut, wash and head massage I was pretty damn happy. The cut itself took about 25mins and looks great, done by Ellen.

Room 903, 9th Floor
    Sunny House, 12-16
    Li Yuen St West (2nd alley-alley)

I did see Unique is still listed on the floor directory but I have to say I didn't see it when the elevator doors opened briefly on the 7th floor.
    Yes - Unique has become Christine's and has moved to the 9th floor. You were not duped. Marlene is still there and I always get my hair cut there. Great service for a great price. However, don't go on a Saturday or a Sunday as they are very busy. Weekday evenings are best.

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    Yes - Unique has become Christine's and has moved to the 9th floor. You were not duped. Marlene is still there and I always get my hair cut there. Great service for a great price. However, don't go on a Saturday or a Sunday as they are very busy. Weekday evenings are best.
    My wife travels over to them because she says they do a better job than the local and more expensive salons where we live.

what is an appropriate tip for a haircut?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    My wife travels over to them because she says they do a better job than the local and more expensive salons where we live.
    Couldn't agree more.

For Drunkenmaster's post about tipping about HKD 30-40 is about right. If one of the 'scalper' girls outside brings you in then they get their cut of HKD 20. For a haircut of HKD 60-70 I just offer HKD 100 and tell them to keep the change and let them sort it out. Still great value.

anyone know what time they open? thaanks`!

Great news - they gave me the best Men's cut I have had in HK. Been wondering where they went as the number for Unique wasn't working. Problem solved.

cool, so what time do they open?

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    Couldn't agree more.

For Drunkenmaster's post about tipping about HKD 30-40 is about right. If one of the 'scalper' girls outside brings you in then they get their cut of HKD 20. For a haircut of HKD 60-70 I just offer HKD 100 and tell them to keep the change and let them sort it out. Still great value.
    Now I feel like a tightarse... I took the advice of a senior poster on another haircut thread here (can't find it right now) who said you shouldn't tip hairdressers at all as they are self-employed. I followed that advice, not wanting to run awry of the mysterious laws of tipping.

Oh well, if I get a mowhawk next time I visit I'll know why.

went to christines, did not like my haircut. a man did it and it looks like i have a very very bad mullet. will not return...

plus their english was sub par, whoever said they had excellent english...