Like Tree51Likes

Still in love w Expats

Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklynexpat
    I read this in the Standard this morning and think it's a bunch of crap. There are people who are interested in marrying outside their culture but in every country I have been to they seem to be in the minority. The majority of people seem to marry within their own culture from what I have witnessed. The article is right about one thing. The HKers who marry outside their culture seem to prefer people from wealthier Western countries.
    I think you take the Standard too seriously, as if it actually was a respectable newspaper. I long ceased to have any kind of respect or expectation of that paper, so this article is no surprise to me. So, in that spirit, I suppose it's better to re-titled the article as "Still in love with expat's POCKETBOOK". Then again, on the flip side, why would expats want to marry an average humourless money-is-everything local? As they say, it takes two to tango .

    (Of course, I'm married to a local ).

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative83
    The question needs to be rephrased.

    Would anyone want Hong Kong female as their lifetime partner?
    I love mine to bits but she is far different, in many ways, from what seems to be the norm.
    Brooklynexpat likes this.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by dear giant
    I love mine to bits but she is far different, in many ways, from what seems to be the norm.
    The norm is a bit better than your wife. Can easily tell just by your many depiction about her.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative83
    The question needs to be rephrased.

    Would anyone want Hong Kong female as their lifetime partner?
    lol been rejected by a few have you?
    dear giant and drumbrake like this.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative83
    The norm is a bit better than your wife. Can easily tell just by your many depiction about her.
    Are we talking personality/character? My wife is genuinely hard-working (rather than the sort that slaps papers on their desk when they hear the big boss's footsteps approaching, which is the norm here), intelligent (actually reads books, knows what's going on in the world, doesn't zone out with pointless baking/farming/whatever iGames), and has human levels of empathy (as opposed to people who, unless you are a member by blood or long association of their kin group, wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire).

    Or is it personal appearance/deportment/etc.? Do you prefer women with mustaches, closets filled with potato-sack-shaped dresses (along with the matching zany tights/leotards, and glitter-and-rhinestone-bedazzled clothes), and allergies to toothpaste / dental hygiene?

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,153

    more than 3 million local women in town and with your immense talents you found a brush big enough to tar them all. Congrats, you're finding deeper and deeper lows.


  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    more than 3 million local women in town and with your immense talents you found a brush big enough to tar them all. Congrats, you're finding deeper and deeper lows.
    There are plenty of exceptions to the rule, but the points above are a generally accurate description of women in HK, as a group.

    If you were to say that Americans were gun nuts, I wouldn't go into histrionics defending the sensible minority of Americans who favor gun control because, generally, Americans are gun nuts compared to people from other developed countries.

    Reality is reality. It's not necessary to mince words and tiptoe around and include a mile-long disclaimer when you're talking about generally prevailing conditions in the real world.
    Brooklynexpat likes this.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    a sunny un spoilt paradise
    Posts
    7,084

    From my observation being married to a HK local and my experiences with other Euro / Chinese couples, one thing stands out as a common denominator. In all cases there was a financial equality, or mutual security between partners. I know a great many couples here and back in Australia, they all seem to be doing very well in their respective professions, and seem quite relaxed/content together... I cant say the same for Euro / South Asian couples that I know here, out of the 8 that I know 7 ended up divorced. Another thing I have noticed is that Euro / Chinese couples tend to socialise together as a tight unit...

    Anyway lol what works for some may not work for others, I married my best friend, lover and mother of my beautiful children, at the end of the day, we all end up with who we deserve .

    Last edited by Skyhook; 10-07-2012 at 04:57 PM.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,153
    Quote Originally Posted by dear giant
    If you were to say that Americans were gun nuts, I wouldn't go into histrionics defending the sensible minority of Americans who favor gun control because, generally, Americans are gun nuts compared to people from other developed countries.
    Guns can be seen as +ve, -ve as well as neutral. Your choice of adjectives are purely negative at best, nasty and prejudiced at worst (Why do Italian men have mustaches, because they want to look just like momma).

    Why dont we call American fat bastards, 1/2 breeds and mongrels. Find a few Injuns and insult their heritage like you do regularly to locals. Chinks and Spicks? Indians that smell up the neighborhood? After all, Reality is reality. It's not necessary to mince words and tiptoe around and include a mile-long disclaimer when you're talking about generally prevailing conditions in the real world.

    You're finding new lows; keep digging...

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Guns can be seen as +ve, -ve as well as neutral. Your choice of adjectives are purely negative at best, nasty and prejudiced at worst (Why do Italian men have mustaches, because they want to look just like momma).

    Why dont we call American fat bastards, 1/2 breeds and mongrels. Find a few Injuns and insult their heritage like you do regularly to locals. Chinks and Spicks? Indians that smell up the neighborhood? After all, Reality is reality. It's not necessary to mince words and tiptoe around and include a mile-long disclaimer when you're talking about generally prevailing conditions in the real world.

    You're finding new lows; keep digging...
    Americans are fat bastards, more so than people in most other developed countries. The epidemic of obesity that has swept the USA is horrifying. There's absolutely no arguing with that. Are you going to pretend that there's some major benefit to being a lardass that outweighs all of the negative consequences?

    But then you move on to racist epithets.

    FYI: "American" is not a race. It's a nationality. "Hong Kong Chinese" is not a race either ("Chinese", which would include Mainlanders, Taiwanese, and the Chinese diaspora *might* be a race ... but "Hong Kong Chinese" is not). You're trying to conflate race and nationality/culture so that you can smear anyone who points out the real problems in HK as a racist. Not gonna work, but of course you'll keep butting your head into that wall.

    Let me know when you run into large numbers of ABCs, CBCs, BBCs, etc. wandering around in sequin-covered potato-sack dresses and tights, bumping into people with a bag that cost several months worth of her salary (money that could have instead been spent on mustache-vanquishing electrolysis/laser treatments), baking pies in an iPhone game, etc. That stuff* is cultural not genetic.

    * The predisposition to grow a mustache might be heritable, like my monobrow. You wouldn't know that I had a potentially unsightly monobrow, though, because I keep it in check. Maintaining a minimal level of personal grooming is not genetic.
    Last edited by dear giant; 10-07-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: expanded w/mustache and monobrow digression

Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast