Like Tree51Likes

Still in love w Expats

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Damit, where did I leave that large bottle of bleach, time to become a Gweilo

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler
    I would'nt go calling other people foolish, HC, you aren't exactly the smartest guy on geoexpat either (to put it kindly ). Hehehe (kidding).
    You've been smoking again waterboiler? What does my intelligence level have to do with identifying offensive behaviour and inappropriate comments?

W.r.t. that particular article, expats == White people. But I suppose it would be embarrassing to say that out in such clear terms, so "expat" it is. I doubt any HK woman would consider marrying, say, an Indonesian or Malaysian, even if that person happens to be eligible in other senses (well-educated + in a stable job earning > 100K HKD per month, for example), because in their worldview, brown-skinned == inferior, and that's set it stone.

For example, I've seen Starbucks staff who are fresh on their shift (starting at 3 p.m. or 4 p.m.) start greeting "Hello, welcome to Starbucks" when a customer arrives and "Thank you" when a customer is leaving to 10 Chinese and/or "expats" in a row, but remains silent when a brown-skinned person enters / leaves, and then resume greeting when the next person is a local or White person. I've seen this pattern many times and across many cafes for it to be just a coincidence in my last 7 years in HK. Interestingly, Delifrance staff is much more humble and personable in this regard. That's a whole new thread, but I'm sure it's not of general interest, so I'll skip that.

Not directly related, but in general, HK has made me realize that economic status becomes everything for many people living in big cities. It's like life has given you an optimization problem, with many variables : money, family, health, attitude, quality of relationships, amount and quality of free time, etc; and you can compromise on some to achieve others; it's an inherently complex n-dimensional problem. But what happens is that the city's culture tacitly encourages you to go full-retard and optimize only one of these variables (money) at the cost of anything else!

Always open to criticism and correction; I talk as if I am right, but listen as if I am wrong. Shoot. But for fuck's sake, geoexpat moderators, please don't just close the thread because the racism word has been uttered. We're all adults here, eh?

Last edited by babediboopi; 17-07-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by babediboopi
    W.r.t. that particular article, expats == White people. But I suppose it would be embarrassing to say that out in such clear terms, so "expat" it is. I doubt any HK woman would consider marrying, say, an Indonesian or Malaysian, even if that person happens to be eligible in other senses (well-educated + in a stable job earning > 100K HKD per month, for example), because in their worldview, brown-skinned == inferior, and that's set it stone.

For example, I've seen Starbucks staff who are fresh on their shift (starting at 3 p.m. or 4 p.m.) start greeting "Hello, welcome to Starbucks" when a customer arrives and "Thank you" when a customer is leaving to 10 Chinese and/or "expats" in a row, but remains silent when a brown-skinned person enters / leaves, and then resume greeting when the next person is a local or White person. I've seen this pattern many times and across many cafes for it to be just a coincidence in my last 7 years in HK. Interestingly, Delifrance staff is much more humble and personable in this regard. That's a whole new thread, but I'm sure it's not of general interest, so I'll skip that.

Not directly related, but in general, HK has made me realize that economic status becomes everything for many people living in big cities. It's like life has given you an optimization problem, with many variables : money, family, health, attitude, quality of relationships, amount and quality of free time, etc; and you can compromise on some to achieve others; it's an inherently complex n-dimensional problem. But what happens is that the city's culture tacitly encourages you to go full-retard and optimize only one of these variables (money) at the cost of anything else!

Always open to criticism and correction; I talk as if I am right, but listen as if I am wrong. Shoot. But for fuck's sake, geoexpat moderators, please don't just close the thread because the racism word has been uttered. We're all adults here, eh?
    Very well put!

The reality is most (but not all) local women would not want to lose face by marrying a gweilo. And those that do become tainted as a local would never marry them. If you have ever intereacted with local Chinese, even the highest income ones (and I mean upper crust) routinely trash gwei people. Not quite like a Southener using the N word but not far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNumberOne
    The reality is most (but not all) local women would not want to lose face by marrying a gweilo. And those that do become tainted as a local would never marry them. If you have ever intereacted with local Chinese, even the highest income ones (and I mean upper crust) routinely trash gwei people. Not quite like a Southener using the N word but not far from it.
    From my knowledge, local Chinese aren't even thinking - at all - about anyone but who they interact with, ie. other local Chinese.

Not to mention, if they ever do, they'd only target Americans - just like the rest of the world.

Are you giving hate speech on behalf of locals?

You're another one of those, DG alike irresponsible low life form whose sole purpose is to exacerbate hatred among groups of people.
    Last edited by Creative83; 18-07-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNumberOne
    True, but for most of those folks (HK Chinese, as well as Mainland Chinese, who hate/fear whites) it's part of a complex love/hate/self-loathing complex. They try to surround themselves with as many of the trappings of the West as possible. Sort of like Napoleon ad the pigs in Orwell's Animal Farm.

They know that the standard or living is higher in the West, the air/water/food/etc. are safer/better, etc. Luxury adverts here, produced by and made for Chinese people, employ whites and mixed-race models and actors heavily, things are marketed using even tenuous associations with the West (even a local Pizza chain advertises that the chicken they use is from the USA, medicine/supplements w/all-Canto adverts cite JAMA and NEJM studies, etc.).
    babediboopi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83
    From my knowledge, local Chinese aren't even thinking - at all - about anyone but who they interact with, ie. other local Chinese.

Not to mention, if they ever do, they'd only target Americans - just like the rest of the world.

Are you giving hate speech on behalf of locals?

You're another one of those, DG alike irresponsible low life form whose sole purpose is to exacerbate hatred among groups of people.
    (1.) A small, but non-negligible minority of HK and (to a significantly greater extent) Mainland Chinese people harbor negative feelings towards Caucasian people. Yes, even kind, understanding, cultural relativists who do not hail from the Great Satan are unloved by those folks. Sewing an Elbonian flag onto your backpack and volunteering to spew about how much you disapprove of the United States doesn't make you the buddy of the xenophobes-who-clink-wine-glasses-and-show-off-their-Rolexes.

(2.) If you don't know about it, it's because you've either never run into any racist Chinese people before (congratulations on your good fortune and excellent choice of friends, coworkers, etc. in that case) or, more likely, the racist folks whom you have met have been, as racists generally are, cowardly enough that they haven't vocalized those feelings in your presence.

(3.) If having the temerity to speak openly about crumbly buildings, ridiculously antisocial and counterproductive superstitions/customs, and uncivilized behavior makes me an "irresponsible low life form", then I will bear that title proudly.

Personally, I'd be embarrassed to be in the presence of someone that uses the expression uncivilized behavior to describe things he doesn't like... It personifies the kind of expat that makes be ashamed of being one at times.

It just plain stinks of the kind of superior attitude that breeds contempt between different cultures... The only thing I get from this guy is that his shit smells like roses and if only the rest of the world was more like me, we'd be so much better off

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk
    The only thing I get from this guy is that his shit smells like roses and if only the rest of the world was more like me, we'd be so much better off
    No, no - you're forgetting a few other shits.
    1) His shit
    2) Anyone from the west's shit
    3) ABCs, BBCs, CBCs and other assorted chinese born and raised in the west's shit
    their shit all smell like roses.

But alas, if you smell local shit, local chinese shit, it smells like normal, ordinary shit.

But dont ever try to tell him he is being a racist asshole...he will bear that title proudly because he is not criticizing race but culture (and that makes it ok)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast