Like Tree21Likes

Things you can't get in HK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    Choice my friend. There are probably more different types of smoked salmon in one corner of the Vancouver airport than all of HK.
    true but that's debatable i would think that HK is much better placed in terms of freighting to get supplies from all corners of the globe - not to disparage the quality of canadian sturgeon mind-you

Dunkin' Donut coffee blend and lots of beef jerky. lots of it. (I'll buy some from you)

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    true but that's debatable i would think that HK is much better placed in terms of freighting to get supplies from all corners of the globe - not to disparage the quality of canadian sturgeon mind-you
    WTF kind of reasoning is that? This can be dismissed with basic high school economics and a little bit of reflection.

Just because HK has a major sea port doesn't mean that it magically becomes a market for all sorts of goods that may or may not pass through here.

Whether goods are available in a market are determined largely by demand (size) and the nature of the supply side of things. HK has a tiny market (7 million people vs 300 million in the US ), and an absolutely minuscule market for Western-styled goods (assuming that westerns <1% of the local population). And the supply side for most goods is an oligopoly (small number of players controlling product availability).

I'm sure that I'm mixing up different economic issues here, but even then it should obvious enough that product availability in HK is likely to be low, and prices are likely to be high. Which is exactly what we see in the market, and from repeated threads asking "where can I buy product X?"
    Last edited by jgl; 12-07-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Just because HK has a major sea port doesn't mean that it magically becomes a market for all sorts of goods that may or may not pass through here.
    Why not exactly? High school debating skills would require some kind of justification here

Whether goods are available in a market are determined largely by demand (size) and the nature of the supply side of things. HK has a tiny market (7 million people vs 300 million in the US ), and an absolutely minuscule market for Western-styled goods (assuming that westerns <1% of the local population). And the supply side for most goods is an oligopoly (small number of players controlling product availability).
    Again, very interesting analysis but light on evidence. Supply and Demand is one factor, cost of living is another - I propose that the supposed difference in cost between OS and HK is not enough to justify lugging fish in your baggage

JW, in this day and age of internet shopping, you can probably get everything just by sitting in your living room and a few clicks later will have what you want. But not everyone wants to shop like that. There is still a place for brinks and mortar stores. If someone is already in the West and are familiar with the offerings of the bricks and mortar establishments there, and are travelling back to HK, the incremental cost of bringing back is much lower than having to ship here. Plus, there are many places that will not even ship to HK and one has to use a forwarding service, so adds to the complication. This is notwithstanding jgl's argument over the oligopoly and miniscule expat pop'n that limits the availability of such products.

On to my specific example - it is not even debatable re. smoked salmon, not even close. I brought up the Vancouver airport specifically because a lot of NA travellers have to transit through Vancouver, and if you are a smoked salmon fan or know someone that is, then this is a great gift. And it's flat packed so fits easily in carryons.

The guy jgl has some serious issues. Really incredible that he reviews all posts by a participant then cites them then throws down hard personal attacks. Tier 1 loser!

I see the mod has erased them. Someone should erase his face.

Last edited by HKNumberOne; 12-07-2012 at 11:10 AM.

pm argument?

sounds more like pms...
    jw1701 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    JW, in this day and age of internet shopping, you can probably get everything just by sitting in your living room and a few clicks later will have what you want. But not everyone wants to shop like that. There is still a place for brinks and mortar stores. If someone is already in the West and are familiar with the offerings of the bricks and mortar establishments there, and are travelling back to HK, the incremental cost of bringing back is much lower than having to ship here. Plus, there are many places that will not even ship to HK and one has to use a forwarding service, so adds to the complication. This is notwithstanding jgl's argument over the oligopoly and miniscule expat pop'n that limits the availability of such products.

On to my specific example - it is not even debatable re. smoked salmon, not even close. I brought up the Vancouver airport specifically because a lot of NA travellers have to transit through Vancouver, and if you are a smoked salmon fan or know someone that is, then this is a great gift. And it's flat packed so fits easily in carryons.
    right, i think i was more coming at it from my own experience of shopping in HK supermarkets where the variety of international products is huge - it isn't just the expats who are creating demand for specialty international goods but the locals also. the prices also in the cases where i have compared local to HK cost have always had HK cheaper but of course that is going to vary depending on the example.
    Last edited by jw1701; 12-07-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNumberOne:
    The guy jgl has some serious issues. Really incredible that he reviews all posts by a participant then cites them then throws down hard personal attacks. Tier 1 loser!

I see the mod has erased them. Someone should erase his face.
    i think things just got a little heated, a lively debate is good for exchanging knowledge - that being said i apologise if i put anyone off.

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    i think things just got a little heated, a lively debate is good for exchanging knowledge - that being said i apologise if i put anyone off.
    I think we're in agreement here. I think you're well intentioned, even if I disagree with your posting activity.

I'd throw in a hug emocon, but I can't find one.
    Last edited by jgl; 12-07-2012 at 11:55 AM.