Like Tree31Likes

Lost wallet in a taxi

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lost wallet in a taxi

I just moved to HongKong from US and it was really a bad experience on the way. On July 15 (Sunday) around 11:00 p.m. (at night), I took a taxi from the airport to the newly rented apartment near UST, but unfortunately I lost my wallet in the taxi. I had the taxi receipt and also filed the case with the police. However, no news, no news, no news. I have all my important IDs and cards in the wallet which brought much much much trouble. If anybody could help and contact me at 62104751, I am very very very appreciative.

If anyone sees a black wallet in the back seat of a taxi...please let me know. Thanks so much!

Last edited by phylx; 18-07-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phylx:
    I just moved to HongKong from US and it was really a bad experience on the way. On July 15 (Sunday) around 11:00 p.m. (at night), I took a taxi from the airport to the newly rented apartment near UST, but unfortunately I lost my wallet in the taxi. I had the taxi receipt and also filed the case with the police. However, no news, no news, no news. I have all my important IDs and cards in the wallet which brought much much much trouble. If anybody could help and contact me at 62104751, I am very very very appreciative.

If anyone sees a black wallet in the back seat of a taxi...please let me know. Thanks so much!
    My guess is there is a huge black market for this kind of stuff and you are not likely to get it back. Not sayin the taxi driver took it tough. You should make sure all cards are cancelled and your ID cards from abroad cancelled. Dont sit an wait. Also sign up for an ID theft program immediately. Being from the States you should be aware of those. Your identity can not only be assumed to obtain credit but to commit crimes such as human, arms, and drug smuggling IMO. Best to contact the US consultate and FBI for assistance.
    dear giant likes this.

Lost wallet in a taxi

Quote Originally Posted by HKNumberOne:
    My guess is there is a huge black market for this kind of stuff and you are not likely to get it back. Not sayin the taxi driver took it tough. You should make sure all cards are cancelled and your ID cards from abroad cancelled. Dont sit an wait. Also sign up for an ID theft program immediately. Being from the States you should be aware of those. Your identity can not only be assumed to obtain credit but to commit crimes such as human, arms, and drug smuggling IMO. Best to contact the US consultate and FBI for assistance.
    Thanks for your replying. There is $150 in the wallet and I think it talks. Anyway, I still hope someone who helps to return all IDs. Thanks.

The FBI? Why would they be interested?

Quote Originally Posted by phylx:
    Thanks for your replying. There is $150 in the wallet and I think it talks. Anyway, I still hope someone who helps to return all IDs. Thanks.
    I've heard that money talks but in this case I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Anyway, if you are VERY and i mean VERY lucky your wallet will be found minus the cash and perhaps credit cards. I'm assuming by IDs you mean driving licence and such as it's your wallet.

You should do this:
    Cancel all credit cards
    Confirm loss of all IDs to relevant parties
    Write off the $150
    Most likely write off the entire wallet and contents.

Welcome to Hong Kong. Am sorry this has happened to you so soon but you'll learn to scan the seat as you leave a taxi, to avoid leaving behind any items, it's just part of the ride.

i heard Jason Bourne was on the case.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile
    climber07 and bookblogger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    Anyway, if you are VERY and i mean VERY lucky your wallet will be found minus the cash and perhaps credit cards.
    It happened to me and one friend so I'm assuming its a trend :-)
    We both lost our wallets within last 2 years in a taxi. About 1 week later, a call came in from Central police station telling us wallets were found. In fact someone had cleared the wallets of the cash, left everything alone and dropped them into a post box.

GPO delivered them to Central police station. We both got our wallets back, only thing missing was cash. I was happy to get all my cards and IDs back as it saved me a ton of hassle.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    It happened to me and one friend so I'm assuming its a trend :-)
    We both lost our wallets within last 2 years in a taxi. About 1 week later, a call came in from Central police station telling us wallets were found. In fact someone had cleared the wallets of the cash, left everything alone and dropped them into a post box.

GPO delivered them to Central police station. We both got our wallets back, only thing missing was cash. I was happy to get all my cards and IDs back as it saved me a ton of hassle.
    I think everyone who loses their wallet is happy to get it back minus any cash that may have been in it (provided we're not talking tens of thousands of $).

I left my wallet in a black cab in Liverpool once, the driver saw the next customer sifting through it in his rear view mirror and demanded they gave it to him. He managed to get my home phone number on Guernsey from the address on my driving licence and called my parents. They in turn gave him my mobile number and we arranged for him to pick me and my friends up from the Creamfields festival the next night/morning which was a double result as taxis are nigh on impossible to find after an event like that.

Anyway long story short everything was still there including the cash, which i gave to him anyway as a reward, from memory i think it was only about 20 quid.

I also lost my work blackberry in a notorious wanchai disco a few months back and that also got handed in and returned to me. I lost it again a few weeks later and wasnt so lucky this time......a $3000 HK phone bill to the Philippines didnt go down too well with my boss.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Losing a wallet is one of the worst feelings. Happened to me not long after I moved to HK some time ago. Just returned from a work trip, and was jetlagged. My wife and I were actually going to meet some out of town visitors for dinner that evening and play tour guides...so I made a withdrawal of $6k from the ATM....all my cards and IDs were there as well and even worse....two 1oz gold bullion coins I was trying to sell to a bank earlier that day. So we're talking a seriously loaded, “George Costanza” sized, wallet. As I was getting out of the taxi with my hands full I notice the wallet falling out of my pocket and on the floor of the back seat of the taxi. Before I even had a chance to react, the guy shuts the door and hits the gas! I dropped all my bags and hopelessly tried to chase him down MacDonnell road….no luck. In all the haste I didn’t even note the taxi plate. The doormen in my building tried to help me, but the association of taxi dispatchers wanted to charge $500hkd to send an announcement over the radio…and since all my cards were gone and I had no immediate way of paying (Shit Out of Luck). Filed an online Police Report and cancelled all my cards as soon as I got to the phone. I’ve written off everything.

However, to my surprise, I got a call from Wanchai Police Department about 5 hours later saying they had my wallet in the station. According to the police, a domestic helper got into a taxi immediately after me and found the wallet. Instead of handing it to the driver she turned it over to the first police officer she came across. Not only were all my card and IDs still there but every single dime of cash and gold coins were fully accounted for!!! (it was more trouble for me replacing all the cancelled cards!). I desperately tried to get her name to offer a reward and left my contact information with the police asking them to notify her….never heard back Fully restored my faith in humanity knowing some people out there still have morals...especially when it’s someone who is in a dire financial situation (There was easily ½ year min pay equivalent for DH in that wallet at the time).

TheBrit, wtbhotia, Trebor and 7 others like this.

It is usually the next passengers that most likely pick up the wallet, I do see some taxi drivers looking behind to see if anything was left behind but not all do and if an item has fallen on the floor there is no chance of them seeing it.

It all depends on the character of the next passenger that gets in, some are good some are bad. To the OP hope some good person does find your wallet and hand it in.

Trebor, I feel for you, I also lost my blackberry after a night out in Wan Chai, tried calling it the next day after I realized it but it was already turned off, never managed to get it back.

dear giant and Fiona in HKG like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast