Violins and musical instruments

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Violins and musical instruments

I am joining violion lessons in a week. Absolute beginner - any recommended places for a not so expensive violin. Also, how much should I expect to pay for such a basic piece.

not sure about pricing but have a look at

http://www.hongkongstrings.com

Why in the world would you want to learn violin?

Yes, violin is beautiful ..........

But you are living in HK, and have the most unique opportunity to learn chinese traditional instruments, such as Erhu, Guzheng or Dizi.

Imagine - if you ever return to your "home" country, you will play the chinese instrument for your friends, and everyone will be in awe !!!!!

Everyone knows that children with a skill and education will stand a better chance of surviving in the increasingly competitive world. The more unique their skill, the higher their chances of success.

Parents of children in Europe and USA know. This is why they encourage their children to study Chinese traditional musical instruments like the Guzheng, which has a very beautiful sound and is very easy to learn.

The art of playing the Guzheng is not only for Chinese children. Western students are increasingly more interested in Guzheng, as more and more popular Western music includes the sound of Guzheng.

Millions of children can play piano or violin, but why not try something new? A Western child that can play Guzheng will immediately stand out amongst his schoolmates. He will be the center of attention and admiration.

I have a couple of violins for beginners/intermediate for sale, bow and case included. One is full size the other is half or three-quarter (can check if you tell me what size you want). Also have a Suzuki one-eigth. The first two are Chinese made and in excellent conditon as the owners were not keen to continue after a while. Have some violin books and come to think of it, have the chin rests, tuner and more, I will have a look. Prices will be a fraction of costs and would love to find a good home for them.

Last edited by sabi; 28-03-2005 at 11:11 AM.

Also have a clarinet for sale - used for one school term only.

inspired late starter?

i hope you know what you're in for! if you are more than 5 years old, it will be impossible to develop perfect pitch. Older than 8 years and your chances at relative pitch are slim too. That will make your notes rather tricky to pitch, and it's all about the pitch, so probably any instrument will be ok. go for basic steel wound strings too--the gut one's really only make a difference on a decent instrument. go for a full size instrument if you can too. skylark used to be the most basic of all basics from China, but I hear that eastern european violins were great value too and a much better basic sound.

if you do try and then give up on the violin, try the guitar..the learning curve is much less steep! guitars are also incredibly cheap.. just a few hundred hkd

enjoy your lessons!

There are some masters in China who make good copies of Stradivarius, etc. Their prices are a bargain compared to prices (and available violins) in Hong Kong and elsewhere.

Smile clarinet music tracher

I want to find a good but not too expensive (i.e < HK$300/lesson) music teacher of clarinet for my daughter who is absolute beginner aged 6 years. Can anyone help? Also where can I buy a second hand clarinet for her to use?

Last edited by rockdoc; 13-11-2005 at 12:57 PM.

I have music lessons with Parsons music. They're not expensive and less than 200/hr. They have a price list you can pick up. You can sign up for weekly classes with a regular teacher but I take random slots with any teacher. Then I can check out the teachers and maybe if there's one I particularly like I can go regular with him/her.

Smile clarinet

thanks I check it out.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast