Like Tree5Likes

British marries to a husband holding HKSAR passport,does the husband get British Passport too?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British marries to a husband holding HKSAR passport,does the husband get British Passport too?

HI All,

My question is...if a British girl who lives in HK and is going to marry a HK guy who holds HKSAR passport. Can the guy give up his HKSAR passport and register for a British passport after they got marry? And if they have children in the future, will the child automatically entitled to hold a British passport too?

I have tried browsing online but information are little...it would be really appreciated if anyone can answer the question. Thanks in advance

My recommendation is read through the nationality law.
    Every case is different, as mentioned before.

Is there a FAQ or something related to this online?
    the OP reminded me of my case which I think is fairly normal/standard one.

Wife : British by birth and descent (parents born and raised in UK, herself born and raised in UK) has lived in Hong Kong for 20+ years.
    Me : Canadian in Hong Kong almost 20 years.
    (the kids have their Brit passports already and I know about : must reside there to pass on the passport to their kids...type of rules)

My question : Can we as a family move to an EU country without visa hassles? Can I work without too much hassle and paperwork? I had assumed that it would be trivial to do so but have not researched it in any way...

Children of A person who acquires British Nationality by Naturalization, are entitled to a British Passport. Even if the children are not born in U. K.( From personal experience).

Can't the Consulate reply to all of this?

(ie unsure how the british consulate works but I would be surprised they do not have personel handling such cases).

Sadly, the British Government has outsourced all such enquiries to commercial entities who charge a huge amount of money for the privilege of talking to their agents on the phone, and, from what I've read, the agents are pretty useless anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Can't the Consulate reply to all of this?

(ie unsure how the british consulate works but I would be surprised they do not have personel handling such cases).
    You have clearly never had any dealings with the British Consulate.

The simple answer is no just being married does not give the spouse the right to a British passport. They need to live in the UK for 2 or 3 years (having gained the relevant visa) then apply for naturalisation.
    pandancake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Sadly, the British Government has outsourced all such enquiries to commercial entities who charge a huge amount of money for the privilege of talking to their agents on the phone, and, from what I've read, the agents are pretty useless anyway.
    I have found that you can bypass the private companies if you can find the correct British Consulate email address. Mind you the replies are still not that helpful. "The exact status of your application is confidential. Your visa is deferred waiting checks, the exact nature of those checks are confidential. Your visa will take between one and 24 weeks to process. We recommend you do not book a flight."

OK didn't know that. Not a great idea but I guess it saves them money.

Yep, first off: 'Careline' phone enquiries won't care a jot till you hand over full credit card payment details for which they charge you 72 pence a min (on top of the initial call charge?)... AND then you find out their pleb hasn't full and clear info re individual circumstances and more specific cases. Instead they couch replies to one's tentative scenario suggestions with 'you need to further check that' or 'as far as I know'... Ah, Careline... careful - coz all's recorded (As Hull, and others I know, have found out a while back.)

OP - Hullexile's post, along with DeletedUser's, contain most of the answer, but you could make a call yourself, too. Google 'Careline' London and British Consulate, so on. Good luck.
    Last edited by emmie; 13-08-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast