Wot no taxis ?

Wot no taxis ?

I fail to understand why taxis are so scarce in Mid Levels 7-9am. Robinson Rd, Cane Rd and Elgin St are 'battlegrounds' for taxis in the morning.

It just doesn't make sense. Later in the day, and at night, I often see taxis queuing for business. I often think to myself - why not just change your working hours ? rather than queuing in the middle of the day, get on the early shift & get into mid levels at 7am.

can anyone here offer an explanation, please ?

Kens.

Pretty much all taxis are in use 24*7 these days I think. I believe, like the property developers, the taxi owners have some sort of deal with the government to manipulate the market and not let any more licences be issued.

Mid-levels to Central is not a good fare, typically. During the morning shift, most taxis will be seeking their living elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Krad
    Mid-levels to Central is not a good fare, typically. During the morning shift, most taxis will be seeking their living elsewhere.
    Absolutely. They can make much more driving people in from Grand Promenade or any of the many residential complexes further east (as much as $100 one way to central in 15-20 minutes).

Lots of people cabbing into work there.

You can try getting a taxi to come to u by calling the taxi service, but you will need to sweeten the deal by paying more. On taxi radio chatter during peak hours, there are a zillion pickup requests with a +$10 or +$20 tip for rides from the mid-levels.

There are also plenty of buses, minibuses and the Escalator if you're wanting to go to Central, Admiralty, Wanchai or Causeway Bay.

Thanks for the replies, which pretty much confirmed my thoughts. I should have pointed out in my original post that I don't travel from mid levels to central (I would, in that case, use the escalator - even I'm not that lazy !). I'm actually travelling from Mid Levels up to the Peak - yes I know, walk over to The Peak Tram - that is my usual solution !

cheers,

Kens.