Like Tree12Likes

Sudden big increase in electricity bills

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sudden big increase in electricity bills

Has the cost per unit of electricity gone up recently? I've noticed a sudden, large increase in my electricity bills. For the past 3 months they have been at least 80% more expensive than the same months last year.

I can't think this is down to usage, as we have not been at home more often and no other behaviour patterns have changed. The only variable is that at the start of this summer one of the old, out the window air con units was replaced with a new, out the window unit, and the other two units were serviced. But this should improve efficiency, rather than lead to a massive increase in electricity usage, shouldn't it?

My electricity bill routinely jumps by well over 100% in July and August. You should be able to compare by looking at the bills from this year and last year. My bills from CLP are very detailed and helpful in this regard.

Hi bryant

Thanks for your reply. Yes I'm comparing the bills to the same months last year. Mine are also quite a lot higher in summer, but these bills are 80% higher than last summer...

bryant.english likes this.

This is usually due to one of two factors:

1. Outdoor temperatures have been much higher, putting more load on your ACs;

2. Carang has moved into your spare room.

LOL! too funny! actually, our electric bill this summer has been down by about $3000/bill.... still tops out over $12k, but that's better than $15k+ we had last year!

ceiling fans, and being out of the house as much as possible (the kids and i) seems to have helped a little....

It's possible that the old airconditioner was not connected properly or something and the usage was not being registered, now the new one is and it is? Long shot.

The fuel surcharges are up only slightly from last year (37c/unit vs 30c on the August bills for HK Electric). So it's the number of units that have increased on your bill presumably? My actual usage is about 2% up with essentially unchanged lifestyle; the fuel charge surcharge increase caused the bill to be about 8% higher.

So it doesn't seem to be down to higher ambient temperatures...

Yes it must be usage that's up then. The thing is it's such a massive increase it's hard to explain - it's like suddenly running the air cons most of the day whereas previously it was just at night. Which definitely hasn't happened.

I am beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with the electrics in the flat. The air con unit was replaced, as we had an incident where my flatmate plugged in a hairdryer and all the electrics in the flat went. It wasn't just a fuse - we had to get an electrician out to fix it. Difficulty in communication meant we weren't told exactly what had gone wrong - but the landlord decided to replace the air con unit. In addition the belt has gone on the washing machine 3 times in the past 2 years. After the second time the landlord replaced the washing machine with a new one. But the machine is less than a year old and it recently happened again. And before it went it sounded like the machine was spinning "extremely" quickly. We follow the user guidelines in terms of how full it is etc.

I'm not at all technical, but does this sound like it could be an electrical problem? The building only dates from about 1995.

It sounds like you may need to call in a registered contractor to check for signs of carang. Sometimes she may be there but without a trained eye you can't tell.

carang likes this.

Yes - that sounds like a major electrical issue - get a properly certified electrician in to sort it out (or even get the electricity company to send someone to have a look).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast