Like Tree13Likes

Earthquake felt in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    There wouldn't be a quake IN Hong Kong. Think of the epicentre of an earthquake, surrounded by outer lying rings, the centre perhaps an 8, where each ring would be 7, 6, 5, and so on. HK would never be an epicentre and likely never feel anything stronger than a 2 or 3.
    True in some cases (the 2008 Sichuan earthquake is an example) but not so in this case. The source of this quake at Heyuan was only 200km away, which means there can be quakes even closer to HK...

Speculating here, but could this quake have man-made causes? It's point of origin is at the reservoir which was also the source of the previous quake in Feb. this year. Could the weight of the water somehow cause the underlying ground to become a little bit unstable?
    Last edited by Watercooler; 03-09-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    There wouldn't be a quake IN Hong Kong. Think of the epicentre of an earthquake, surrounded by outer lying rings, the centre perhaps an 8, where each ring would be 7, 6, 5, and so on. HK would never be an epicentre and likely never feel anything stronger than a 2 or 3.
    Why can't I "like" this post? The "like" button is only appearing under some posts and not others! I LIKE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Greenland, Belarus, Cambodia, Chad and Niger seem pretty safe.
    Only for the 35 year period shown...

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Why can't I "like" this post? The "like" button is only appearing under some posts and not others! I LIKE IT!
    Thank you!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4