Like Tree18Likes

Lock Picking Kit

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Lock Picking Kit

I'm getting fed up of locking myself out of my apartment.

I've tried everything I can think over the years to get myself to not forget my keys and never manage it. Every time I get a locksmith out they charge me $200 at least for 10 seconds work and so I've decided it would be an investment to learn how to pick the lock myself.

So does anyone know where I can buy a lock picking kit here in HK?

And as far as I understand, as long as I'm not using it for shady purposes there's no problem legally with me having one? I know it's fine in the UK, but not sure about over here.

cjjenks

isnt it possible to leave your kit at home if you have a problem with leaving stuff behind? prob best to leave a reminder on the inside of your door?

cw1483 likes this.

Why don't you just wear a spare set of keys to your front door & gate around your neck on a neck chain ? Then you will always have keys on your person at all times....

You can buy a kit from Cobra on Queens Rd Central. Youtube will show you how to do the rest.

shri and Stu79 like this.

I would change the door lock - expensive solution = get a keypad and finger print lock - you'll never get locked out as long as you remember you passcode and have hand attached. They take keys too in case the battery runs out.

The cheaper solution is to change the lock to one of those that can only be locked with a key instead of those that are spring loaded.

The cheapest solution - leave a spare in the office or with a friend or neighbour.

Satay Sue likes this.

Just leave an anonymised spare key sitting hidden in the neighbourhood. That way you can't forget it.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have a spare key in the office and with a friend, but the other day I got locked out without my office key (to get to that key), my phone (to call my mate, who was away anyway) or any money.

Not sure if there is anywhere suitable locally to hide a key - I used to bury one in my garden but I don't have one here.

I just think lock picking would be a useful skill to have knowing my forgetfulness. Once I learn how to do it with a kit I can move on to using common, easy to get items such as paperclips and hair grips in an emergency.

Or you can just grow up, be and act like a responcible adult....I know tough to fathom such a solution. If you have such shitty memory then you're a danger to yourself.

1. How do you know you will not forget your lock picking set at home as frequently?
    2. Why not leave a spare set with a friend, helper, management office?
    3. Set an alarm reminder on your phone?

This is just beyond stupid.

Last edited by Editor; 03-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.

climber obviously isnt human - but in one sense he is right - its a silly solution to your problem...you sound like a wannabe cat burgular...

the key hiding is a good idea, just need to look around, better if not on your floor, fire escapes are great for this...

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    Not sure if there is anywhere suitable locally to hide a key - I used to bury one in my garden but I don't have one here.
    Use a dab of silicone sealant and attach a key under a nearby park bench or under a railing.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast