Like Tree5Likes

A Part-Time DH or Sparkle Maids?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So is the only legal option to use cleaning agencies? They don't seem to be set up to deal with people who just want 2-3 hours a week. Also they don't always send the same maid. This could mean that if you have given specific instructions regarding pets or how to clean certain items, the maid won't know and may damage your property unintentionally, or let your pet outside without realising - especially if you aren't there.

Surely there must be a way to find a legal part time cleaner who speaks some English without having to go via an agency? Or am I wrong, is it a choice of legal via an agency OR getting to pick your own cleaner but acting illegally?

Quote Originally Posted by mt_cj:
    Surely there must be a way to find a legal part time cleaner who speaks some English without having to go via an agency? Or am I wrong, is it a choice of legal via an agency OR getting to pick your own cleaner but acting illegally?
    Basically, you've nailed the 2 choices.

Yes, you can actually get a legal one but its not easy as most legal workers with English can make a decent amount of money elsewhere working full time or regular/consistent part time.

After a while, most people will give up on their ideals and go with the cheaper option : get a part time illegal maid for a few hours a week.
    mt_cj likes this.

mt_cj likes this.

Thanks for the replies - I think I understand what my options are now!

I have a regular part-time helper who holds a dependent visa. Her rate is slightly higher than the illegal ones but she is truly well worth it. In fact I introduced her to another geo-expat member and they hired her to be their regular cleaner as well. Did Merry maids once for pre-move cleaning and essentially for 4-hour job (regular/ same cleaner - their premium plan), they are asking for almost $800. I might have been tempted if it is a super duper cleaner (I am very particular!) but for a "will do" cleaner, who couldn't speak English, it was an expensive and frustrating experience. Not to mention, their cleaning equipment/ supplies (included in the price) leaves a lot to be desired.

Tripsplanner - does your cleaner have any gaps in her schedule by any chance, and does she cover Tin Hau/CWB area?

We used Merry Maids for a one off 'deep clean' when we moved in, and although they did a decent job, they just aren't what we need. 2 women spent 4 hours cleaning our tiny flat, and they said that this shows that we 'need' 2 people/4 hours every time. So they have a high hourly rate and also quite a big min. requirement - they are just way out of our budget. We only really require one person for about 2-3 hours a week, and we'd do the rest ourselves - that's what we've been used to in London. But things are obviously different here and we'll have to adjust; we will have to get someone for at least 4 hours. We want to pay a fair rate, but not the Merry Maids rate!