good idea or not?

Closed Thread

good idea or not?

feel a bit fuddy duddy asking but heck, better safe than sorry. is it prudent to go alone to furniture shops in shenzen that are 10-15 min away from the station?

Tex,

KIA went furniture shopping a couple of years ago in Shenzen. There was a lot of cheap, modern furntiure similar to Jade Rattan and then we saw Italian Replicas which were over the top, but nothing in between. Not sure if the selection has improved since then. Apparently the place to go for furniture is Shunde and there's a ferry from Shun Tak Center (Macau Ferry).

Regarding safety in Shenzen, I can't really comment. You hear so many stories. If you do decide to go, follow the crowd and only take a taxi from the taxi stand.

Rani

thanks rani. the shenzen book you recommended actually lists a few places i thought i'd go check out. over the top italian stuff and poor quality not my scene! but contemporary, yes. i'll let you know if it's improved any.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Remember to leave your credit cards and rolex at home when you go. And here is some light reading for your journey

My Shenzhen redemption

By Justin Mitchell

I recently stumbled across two reasons to renew my faith in America's basic goodness. They sprang from disparate sources in Shenzhen: An unknown middle school student and an 87-year-old obstetrician-gynaecologist.

more....... http://www.thestandard.com.hk/stdn/s.../FK13Jp04.html