View Poll Results: want to see rickshaws around star ferry again?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes - that would be nice

12 54.55%
  • no - that time is past

10 45.45%
  • huh - what's a rickshaw?

0 0%
Like Tree11Likes

petition to bring back the rickshaws

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Has Creative83 been promoted to moderator.
    lol..

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by pepe77:
    Does it really matter ?

Does it matter if they have engine, pedals or are pulled by arms ?
    Does it matter if operated by white guy or old chinese man ?

Is it the idea of a person pulling another person that makes it sound like slavery ?
    If yes, what makes it different than waiters, cab drivers, cleaners, etc etc.

SERVICE is a business industry - nothing to be compared to slavery if being paid well (according to law etc) to do it and if anyone should take up the job on own free will.

When that is said - I could see the idea in "future Hong Kong" where pathways and waterfronts were highly designed for Segways, rickshaws or similar.
    answers in order

yes
    yes
    no
    no

hope that helps

oh, and the bit in bold. a pretty big if don't you think.

Quote Originally Posted by pepe77:
    Does it really matter ?

Does it matter if they have engine, pedals or are pulled by arms ?
    Does it matter if operated by white guy or old chinese man ?

Is it the idea of a person pulling another person that makes it sound like slavery ?
    If yes, what makes it different than waiters, cab drivers, cleaners, etc etc.

SERVICE is a business industry - nothing to be compared to slavery if being paid well (according to law etc) to do it and if anyone should take up the job on own free will.

When that is said - I could see the idea in "future Hong Kong" where pathways and waterfronts were highly designed for Segways, rickshaws or similar.
    Well nothing wrong with any of this but it is the connotations of rickshaws as an outdated colonial relic which bothers people.

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    Let's also bring sedan chairs,coolies and bind ladies feet. These would also be a good tourist attractions. Tourists could take pictures atop a sedan chair being taken up the peak by a few low educated coolies with binded feet ladies in tow.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    Well nothing wrong with any of this but it is the connotations of rickshaws as an outdated colonial relic which bothers people.
    You know, painkillers are available OTC. Something for your heartache.

I couldn't think of anything better than donning my safari suit, pulling up my socks and flogging a rickshaw driver for 45 minutes or so

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5