Traffic summons

Unhappy Traffic summons

Hi I have left the country but have received a courts summons for crossing when lights were red (with dozens of others!!) shall i ignore it? they said I can plead guilty by letter the fine is up to 2K!!

Not a good idea to ignore such things. If you did run the red, as in you don't dispute it, I'd send back the letter as see how much your fine is!

r u planning to come back ever, if not then ignore it.

if this is a car that u are talking about, then u must have been caught by the camera, u need to admit guilty and pay the fine as there is no way u can argue it. The fine i think is $800 or maybe less and get 5 points deducted. also not very sure about the points. could be slightly higher.

$2000 for a pedestrian who crosses on a red light.
    $800 for car who crosses on a red light.
    One of the (very) few things I miss form back home, where cars stop for people, not here where people stop for cars.

I am a bit curious as to why you would even ask this quesiton if you have already left the country? Leaving without paying your credit card debt is another subject, however...

Is it actually law in HK that vehicles have the right-of-way? I thought everyone just ignored pedestrian right-of-way like so many other things about traffic that I took for granted in North America.

Yes, cars have right of way, as per the commonwealth road rules, although most HK pedestrians work on a chaos theory of chance in built up area's.

Pretty suprizing the frequency of how often pedestrians have walked right in front of me without bothering to look before they set off accross the road. Not much road sense, but certainly nirvana compared to driving in Shenzhen !!!

Also, HK car drivers don't stop for yellow beaconed pedestrian crossings, which says a lot about the selfish nature of the I'm too busy to care culture that exists here. But that aside, driving in Hk is actually pretty easy, and much less stressful than back home, once you adapt to the logic of the road system.

>> HK car drivers don't stop for yellow beaconed pedestrian crossings

Skyhook - We stop at yellow crossings... BUT get strange looks from the pedestrians. Unfortunately its illegal (or something like that) for the driver to tell the pedestrian to cross, so I give them 10 seconds and just drive through.

Happens without fail at one of the local chinese estates where we do our wet market / grocery shopping.

Yeah KIA, we stop at pedestrian crossings if there are people about to cross, a second nature to me from how things were back home. From my own experiences of walking across these crossings it's often no better than if the crossing ever existed, no guarantee an approaching driver will stop. The law does state very clearly, that a car MUST stop the moment a pedestrian has set foot onto the crossing. Failing to do so attracts a pretty hefty fine, especially if a pedestrian was knocked down due to the illegal actions of a recalcitrant driver.

I do agree about people giving you weird looks when you do stop to give waiting pedestrians the chance to cross, but in my mind it just extends a bit of roadside courtesy, and abeyance of the road laws.

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-01-2008 at 12:32 PM.