Funny names

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Funny names

I know this has been done to death many times but came across this one yesterday in a baby magazine:

baby: [name]
    father: [name]
    mother: hippo

sweet, a baby hippo

A couple of people my husband has met in formal meetings are:

Pollyanna (Polly) Cotton
    Alexander (Sandy) Dick

Always raises a smile

I once got signed up for a gym membership by a guy named 'tongue.' I laughed my ass off and he didn't bat an eyelid.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I know this has been done to death many times but came across this one yesterday in a baby magazine:

baby: [name]
    father: [name]
    mother: hippo

sweet, a baby hippo
    Probably... certainly not new either but I've come across many a name that'd raise me eyebrow here:

Windy, Sunny, Icy, Rainy
    All 4 girls one class / clique! We'd all grin smile when I linger over their names while glancing out the window.

Another coupla groups: Autumn, Winter, Canny, Funny (as well as the perennial: Fanny).

One fun girl has more spunk & calls herself: "Chopsticks", mirroring her longtime Canto nickname: "Fai Gee" with the same meaning.

Re: the boys
    A 16-year-old saw nothing wrong with his own hand-picked name: "Rose", which he pronounced closer to "Russ" ...till I helped him see the light & he then very reluctantly took my suggestion of "Ross" coz he didn't like how the other one was spelt. And since "Ross" was "difficult" for Canto-speakers to say, he later happily switched it to his 2 Chinese initials: "W.C." instead. (Should I have further intervened / "enlightened" him again?
    Anyways, I quickly got over it).

Other names other boys call themselves: King, Hero, Bear, Bobo, Phoebus, etc.

Most are just experimenting with Eng names, which changes every coupla yrs

But I definitely had to advise one warm, bright girl to change her name "Queenie" to anything else, esp. as she's studying to be a lawyer at Uni, & planned to live outside HK.

There's more, but wouldn't wanna bore.

In our China office we have a guy named 'Milk', another guy named 'Eleven' and a very sweet, pretty girl named 'So-So'

New Zealand.

I have come across names as Execute, Horse, Horny,

I met a girl named Pizza once. I asked her, can I take a Chinese name like that? Call me Congee

from my office email conact list...
    Aroma, Smarki, Dandy, Morning, Pico, Wings, Fony, Grandy...the list goes on and on....

Sat a few desks away from a colleague called 'Myth'. He has since left the firm....

Anyone come across full names that can also double as a statement or description? 'Marmalade Tin' - the TVB news reporter - is sadly no longer on our screens.

Recently came across a guy from the Swiss CoC - 'Hans R Kuntz' - made me chuckle.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast