bored out of my mind

Closed Thread

bored out of my mind

have I gone mad? I am bored out of my skull...

I need to get away for a few days; maybe Kuala Lumpur for a long weekend. Any suggestions? Money is not really an object, thankfully.

It's one of those days, huh? It'll pass...

Love Japan & S.Korea, but you'd need to spend more than 2-3 days in one of their places, OR, like me, re-visit a coupla times to explore more.

Vietnam & Indonesia, or even mainland PRC cities are other recommendations, as long as you've time to venture out a bit beyond comfy hotels!

It's because it's January, and I bet you're a NET

Haha!
    I'm just throwing this out there, but are you a NET? Are you finding yourself sitting at your desk while the rest of the staff is at a meeting, or they're all busy marking?
    I think every NET should be given the month of January off, as most seem to be doing "personal development" all month. ie... looking busy.

As for where to travel... where are you going for CNY?

Hum.... I think it's the weather...feel like I need a weekend break too...

Cebu would be pretty nice for a long weekend with doing nothing.

Bangkok is good for a weekend of shopping with some crazy clubbing scene.

Singapore wouldn't be a bad option either....

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma Bum:
    Haha!
    I'm just throwing this out there, but are you a NET? Are you finding yourself sitting at your desk while the rest of the staff is at a meeting, or they're all busy marking?
    I think every NET should be given the month of January off, as most seem to be doing "personal development" all month. ie... looking busy.
    great guess.... a bored NET

If money is plentiful then I recommend Shiva Som in Thailand for 4 days/1 week.
    You will come back refreshed and ready to go!

If you are going to spend a week away, why not take a trip to Queensland's Surfers Paradise, Australia.

Hire a car ( soft top preferably so you can enjoy that sweet fresh air ) from Broad Beach, drive to Byron Bay a short drive across the the New South Wales border ( beautiful lush road side scenery all the way), spend a few days there, exploring the local sights, experience soft powder sandy beaches, amazing rain forests, mature beach front pubs and just completely unwind. More than worth the flight, as you will have so much more you can do and see within fairly close proximity.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 20-01-2008 at 11:39 AM.

2nd floor (although it's billed as 3rd) in Jordan walkup

yeah I hear you skyhook. probably this lousy 12 degrees weather don't help much, plus post-xmas blues...
    I took a short dive to Guangzhou by train for a couple of days... stayed in a youth hostel... not much going on, great BBQ oysters, altogether overall quite dismal - but when I got back, man I was reinvigorated! Just the short change in scenery I guess, or seeing something new, even if it was hazy and dirty and no-one understood me.
    So get over the border, it's cheap and easy if you've got the visa and I reckon anywhere new (as most of the mainland is to HK dwellers) has magical remedies!
    {I've just read your post again skyhook, where you say money isn't an object,,, so probably train/youth hostel not your thing.... but please consider it just for the difference, and the low expectations which lead to happy times :-) the guangzhou YHA double room is far better than many 4star places over there and is beautifully situated!)}

Last edited by taihunggao; 20-01-2008 at 07:12 PM.

wtf ?

Quote Originally Posted by taihunggao:
    yeah I hear you skyhook. probably this lousy 12 degrees weather don't help much, plus post-xmas blues...
    I took a short dive to Guangzhou by train for a couple of days... stayed in a youth hostel... not much going on, great BBQ oysters, altogether overall quite dismal - but when I got back, man I was reinvigorated! Just the short change in scenery I guess, or seeing something new, even if it was hazy and dirty and no-one understood me.
    So get over the border, it's cheap and easy if you've got the visa and I reckon anywhere new (as most of the mainland is to HK dwellers) has magical remedies!
    {I've just read your post again skyhook, where you say money isn't an object,,, so probably train/youth hostel not your thing.... but please consider it just for the difference, and the low expectations which lead to happy times :-) the guangzhou YHA double room is far better than many 4star places over there and is beautifully situated!)}
    Ummmmm dude,

point 1/. If you did read my post, then you have the memory retention of somebody who suffers a severe frontal lobe injury.

Point 2/. I have lived on the mainland, Nanshan in Shenzhen, traveled to as far north as Wu Tai Shen, 3 hours from Shan Xi province, or 7 hours by car from the Forbidden City in Beijing. So excuse my care factor of concrete jungles, I prefer the rural country sides that city slickers rarely have the chance to experience.

Point 3/. I made no cost association of any kind with my post, not that Queensland is expensive generally, but thats entirely up to the individuals preference regarding accommodation, and the type of activities chosen. Most activities I recommended are free, ie, national park bush walks, visiting amazing water falls, seeing all manner of fauna/flora along the way, swimming at "unpolluted " ecologically pristine beaches etc etc.

What business is it of yours to tell somebody what they can and can't do based on your blinkered interpretation of life. The very fact that you support China's seafood industry is enough for me, as I on principal wont, knowing that it has fished its fishing reserves to within 35%, ie destined to fish itself out of existence due to irresponsible demand !

Oxygen thief ....
    Last edited by Skyhook; 20-01-2008 at 08:03 PM.