Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia

Canton Road Curiosities

Closed Thread

Canton Road Curiosities

Just curious; China Hong Kong City is located at No.33 Canton Road, and right next to it is a fire station with street address No.333 Canton Road. Where on Earth (pun unintended) are the approx. 150 street numbers in between located?

Also, the footbridge crossing Canton Road from China HK City to Kowloon Park seems to be strangely wobbly. I've noticed several times tourist crossing it and commenting "did you feel that? an earthquake!" However the bridge wobbles a bit every time I cross it, especially if there are other people walking on it at same time. So it cannot be an earthquake but it ought be something in the construction of the bridge. Is it built to bounce on purpose to give it flexibility for heat expansion or rumbles from the traffic underneath? Anyone knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellenna:
    Is it built to bounce on purpose to give it flexibility for heat expansion or rumbles from the traffic underneath? Anyone knows?
    Most likely a bit of both but the traffic passing below will cause it vibrate more, especially when big buses and trucks go by.

When i am driving and on an elevated road while stuck in traffic, when other vehilces pass by on the opposite lane, i can feel my car bouncing up and down, the springs of the elevated road is working
    carang likes this.

Probably all bridges wobble a bit. Notice it all the time when I stand still and a truck passes by. It's totally normal. Can even happen near place were no 150 street numbers are missing.

Canton road is a big stretch from tst thro jordan and yau ma tei...The door numbers are not in order near the 333 fire station...but google map gives you location of all the house numbers beteween 33 and 333 in the jordan area...

all bridges wobble, same for high rise building, you don't feel it much but they always move a bit. Which makes me think, when you're in Tokyo you have so many earthquake the earth is shaking most of the time. Strange sensation