Like Tree42Likes

Chinese customs regarding death

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Visiting Family

My grandma (mom’s side) passed away recent. I was told that I’m not allowed to visit other people’s homes for 100 days. Does this include other family members too? Family members being my mom’s siblings. I know visiting friends is a taboo, but what about other family members who share the same loss?

Does this include other family members too? Family members being my mom’s siblings.
    No it doesnt, sure you can visit other family members who are sharing the same loss.
    imparanoic and yume36 like this.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by yume36:
    My grandma (mom’s side) passed away recent. I was told that I’m not allowed to visit other people’s homes for 100 days. Does this include other family members too? Family members being my mom’s siblings. I know visiting friends is a taboo, but what about other family members who share the same loss?
    I believe it's 30 days as well

also can't go to any weddings or baby 100 day/full moon reception as it's bad luck to them.

visiting friends is fine, just don't go to their house, meet them outside at a mall is largely accepted by current gen and younger gen, as long it's not their house.
    chuckster007 and yume36 like this.

So then it’s alright to visit homes of my relatives on my mom’s side? Would it make a difference if I were to add on that my dad turned 60 this year? His birthday passed already, but is within the 100days. I was told he should stay away from the sick, hospitals, etc. thoughtout the whole year. Would me visiting my relatives houses affect him? My mom a rather superstitious, but knows only bits and pieces. So I wanted to make sure before I do anything unwanted.

Do what you feel is right for the well being of the family.

Can attend funeral when I’m in mourning?

My grandpa passed away 9 Nov earlier this month. My friend’s father just passed away. Is there any custom that I cannot attend funeral when I’m in mourning?

Quote Originally Posted by rockygun:
    My grandpa passed away 9 Nov earlier this month. My friend’s father just passed away. Is there any custom that I cannot attend funeral when I’m in mourning?
    I don't there is any, shouldn't be, during 2018, there were 4 deaths, first my aunt in law in april, a hk friend who i knew in uk who commit suicide and his funeral was on my birthday, my boss' wife during july then my father in law in august.

Thanks for your quick reply! However, the death happened in my direct family, my grandfather. So I’m not sure if I should or can attend someone else’s funeral.

In reply to Rockygun: Can keep it safe and just send a wreath for your friend's dad, no need to attend the funeral.