Like Tree9Likes

Is it true that flush water in all of HK is "free"

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

is their a cost, monetary and environmental l mean?

Quote Originally Posted by soursweet:
    is their a cost, monetary and environmental l mean?
    I'm a firm believer that you don't get something out of nothing!

If there is no meter for the second flush water supply then its obvious you can't save money on using less flush water i.e in using your bucket of water you collected whilst you take your shower to flush the loo.

This is a pure guess but I would expect costs for providing flush water to be included with your main water supply or its in with building management fees.

Regarding environmental aspects then maybe someone can give advice on how waste water from the 2 supplies gets treated...are there separate water treatement plants or do they get combined into one? Once recycled it will come out of your fresh water taps again!!! Hmm...lets not dwell on that thought for too long!

If it's salt water then there's no savings because it doesn't cost you anything.

If it's fresh water, your best bet is to wash the dishes while you shower AND collect that water to save for flushing the loo later.

TheBrit likes this.

from the wsd annual report: "Salt water for flushing is supplied free of charge."

http://www.wsd.gov.hk/filemanager/co..._11/pdf/09.pdf

(i imagine any maintenance just gets bundled in with the fresh supply lines)

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    from the wsd annual report: "Salt water for flushing is supplied free of charge."

http://www.wsd.gov.hk/filemanager/co..._11/pdf/09.pdf

(i imagine any maintenance just gets bundled in with the fresh supply lines)
    Interesting to know that out of circa 2.5 million accounts only approx 30k actually have flush water supply! So that is a 1% chance the OP may have flush water for toilets...

Er, no - only 28k subscribe to flush water as a separate service!

Clearly far more than that have a seawater flushing service.

As you would know if you were actually living in Hong Kong and knew anything much at all about our home.

FYI Nearly 80% of the population uses seawater for flushing.
    http://www.wsd.gov.hk/en/water_resou...ing/index.html

Last edited by Editor; 04-01-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Personal attacks removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Er, no - only 28k subscribe to flush water as a separate service!

Clearly far more than that have a seawater flushing service.

As you would know if you were actually living in Hong Kong and knew anything much at all about our home.

FYI Nearly 80% of the population uses seawater for flushing.
    http://www.wsd.gov.hk/en/water_resou...ing/index.html
    Happy New Year to you!

I have simply mis-intrepreted a document.
    Last edited by Editor; 04-01-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Personal attacks removed.

Free for sure.

I was wondering if the use of salt water for flushing has affected the logevity of the toilet filling valves? The parts in my toilets seem to be "bog standard" Fluidmaster (USA), which I have been told by a knowledgeable plumber in the 'States do not even like additives like that blue stuff. I can imagine what salt water might do to them... Actually, I don't think I do have to imagine, since one of the valves in my house is intermittently failing to close (and the landlord refuses to replace it, naturally, because if you wiggle it, it closes)...

We only have one incoming water main. I don't think salt water is part of our supply and can't see how the costs could be split. A nice idea but I think we pay for our flush water.