Fedex, UPS, other courier spam mail?

Closed Thread

Fedex, UPS, other courier spam mail?

I realised I have about 20 messages in my inbox which Mac Mail thinks are spam from "courier" companies like Fedex and UPS and other FIrst Class Postal Services and things. Does anyone know what the deal is? I also had one REAL one (I think, at least I was expecting a parcel!) from HK post which says it's being held at the On Ting post office... not sure if that's what triggered all the rest or what... Anyone else any ideas?

just dont click on any of them. i only google the parcel number.

The deal is that you call a customer service number or email address which is in the fake notification.

The phone is answered by their Nigerian customer service help desk which tells you that you have a gift (usually expensive stuff like jewelry) which they have been unable to deliver as a payment - usually customs duty - needs to be made.

Needless to say, they're more than happy to take your credit card info or even payment via Western Union etc to help speed up the transaction.

You know how this ends ....

Last edited by shri; 24-12-2012 at 10:58 AM.

These guys also hang around dating sites and other social media and pretend to be lonely american guys who then send their targets ( helpers, from what one of our friends told us after her helper almost got scammed ) expensive gifts, which then get "held up in customs".

Funny how many of these calls get routed to the Nigerian offshore call center that all these courier run.

Thanks guys. I'd never seen it before and they all came within a few minutes of the legit one from HK post. Can't be a coincidence?????

Or is this a scam that works best a few days before Xmas.....

A Xmas one I guess. Much like the email I just got from a contact whose hotmail account has obviously been hacked: the standard one about being in a foreign place and having everything stolen and begging for you to send them some money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    A Xmas one I guess. Much like the email I just got from a contact whose hotmail account has obviously been hacked: the standard one about being in a foreign place and having everything stolen and begging for you to send them some money.
    Just had several of those in the past 12 hours. All are friends stuck in ppines and all are requesting USD to be able to leave...