Looking for advice...!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for advice...!

I have been offered a job in Hong Kong - and if all goes ahead i will be moving from London to HK in April 2005.

Basically I was generally enquiring if anyone out there had any pearls of wisdom about such a move or if they feel there is anything particularly I should be aware of ... ie taxes, local culture, rent prices etc.

Any advice around this would be brilliant

you are asking for very general advice,
    so my general advice would be to peruse the wonderful advice that has been posted before on this wonderful website. There have been many questions and even many more answers. People have taken the time to ask their questions and many more have taken their time to give their answers.

but if you have particular questions - you will get particular answers.

But I am curious -
    have you travelled before?
    What area/industry will you be working in?

Last edited by doogle; 06-12-2004 at 03:05 AM. Reason: 'speling'

I have travelled a lot before and have lived in Sao Paolo for a year.

I will be working in the recruitment industry - I have been doing that in London for the past 5 years.

I have never been to Hong Kong and am trying to get a feel for the place - I do have friends there but wanted to get more of an impartial view!!

Maybe more specifically where would be a good place to live if I was to be working on Chater Road?

I will have a budget of around $1500 US.

>> I will be working in the recruitment industry

My condolences. Pretty competitive industry filled with a lot of lads from London.

You're not going to find a lot of places around Charter Road (assume you're working around Prices Building or such?) or Central for about 10K, but you should be able to find plenty in that range, within 30-45 minutes commute -- including smaller apartments in mid levels.

http://www.gohome.com.hk and http://www.centanet.com are good places to start your research.

or you could share a flat?

Thanks for these pointers - definitely a competitive industry but that is half the fun!!

Are there particular areas of Hong Kong that are popular places to live - prob from an expat perspective? If anyone knows London and could give some kind comparison (if possible!!) - it would be really helpful.

I am aware that it can be difficult to get a nice pad quickly so will try to do some up-front work around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam79:
    Are there particular areas of Hong Kong that are popular places to live - prob from an expat perspective? If anyone knows London and could give some kind comparison (if possible!!) - it would be really helpful.
    Yeah, you can build an underground shelter and put up posters of Europe. With all the construction all over the place it may not be difficult to just dig a hole anywhere near Lan Kwai Fong and put all your stuff there.

But then again...
    What a shame to miss out on the whole Hong Kong experience. You couldn't have it easier than here to be exposed to the asian culture with the Western world as your safety net.

When in Rome...

Instead of putting urself in a smal appartment in Mid levels full of expats from London or elsewhere, why don't u try to get an appartment in a more "chinese area" where you will be closer from the local, have a bigger place, get cheaper food and u can still hang out with the expats near lan kwai fong on WE or else... after all transportation are quite good in HK compare to most of the european cities....
    If u come to HK it is to fasten ur career, but also to meet another culture..if it is to stay with english lads..well how about staying in London:-)

If you know what you want...

Come to HK and stay where you like. You clearly know what you want so don't be dissuaded. I have travelled a little myself and find it always takes some getting used to being in a new culture. So if you want to stay around expats then that's up to you. As Mat suggested you do get more for your money in more local areas but if that isn't the priority then Mid-Levels has a large expat community which is close to subways, buses and night life (quite expensive rent though). Sharing is definitely a good suggestion.

Good luck!

Last edited by whatsername; 05-01-2005 at 05:59 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast