black man seeks a barber

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

black man seeks a barber

The quest continues...

I've been coming to Hong Kong for years now. In the past, it was just for a few weeks or months at a time. Now, however, I've 'taken the plunge'.

Previously, during my trips to HK, I've used two main strategies regarding my hair. One, shave it all off, bald, (that's the extent of my artistic capability); two, give myself really excellent make-believe haircuts until I can get myself back to an actual barber. (The Internal Haircut Method, or ?????).

Anyway, the point is that it's been a few months now, and the novelty of non-grooming has worn off pretty definitively.

Is there anyone in Hong Kong who can give decent haircuts for black men? The one time I went to a Shanghai barber was useful only as an object lesson.

At this point, I'll welcome even rumors and urban legends.

Thanks.

Last edited by internalogic; 21-02-2008 at 08:45 PM.

Go to the Fleet Arcade, Fenwick Street at the harbour end. It's where the US sailors are based when they visit to HK.

What kind of cut are you looking for? The guys at the Fleet Arcade won't be able to line you up. All they'll be able to do is take it down, which you can pretty much do yourself...

you got it, Jay. It's all about the lines.

Is that pure fantasy here?

Thanks anyway for the tip, Sarawesi. Have you gotten a good cut over there? Did they line you up?

I line myself up. AFAIK it's pretty much impossible to get the kind of cut you want here. The old guys at the Fleet Arcade barely speak English, and they wouldn't even know what a shapeup was if you asked for one. lol. The Navy guys you see with sharp cuts get their cuts on the ships.

joining the Navy is slightly more than I'm willing to do.

Understandable. Not what I was suggesting...lol. I think the main problem here is a lack of demand.

Well, you'd have to get married first to be able to work here legally, but if you have your clippers here and you know what you're doing, you could cut from home, although that's technically illegal. AFAIK the guys at the Fleet are the same guys who cut my hair (badly) when I was 17, and they're probably not gonna let you cut there. It's always worth a shot though.

(Julian,is this you?)

Anywho, it's all about Mirador and Chunking Mansions where the African guys go. Chunking definitely, but Mirador is a lot less scary.

Those are both in TST.

PS: Hi Jay! Long time! Whatchoo know about 'lining it up"?

I'm good with the clippers and my Dovo (German) straight razor! I don't really like doing it for other people though. I'm a perfectionist and it takes a long time. I'd want to be well-compensated. I can fade pretty well too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast