Americans in Kowloon?

Closed Thread

Question Americans in Kowloon?

Hi All;

I am being offered an expat position. Our office is in Kowloon, and much of my work will be the Guangzhou area.
    I'm looking for expat locations in the Kowloon area. My wife and I have 3 kids and it looks like the schools we are interested in are basically in the Kowloon Tong area.
    We currently live in the suburbs of Los Angeles.
    While I can deal with the differences - I want to find a place that my family can be comfortable in.

Any ideas on areas?

1.) Kowloon is part of Hong Kong.

2.) Kowloon and Kowloon Tong aren't very desirable areas. They are known to be areas with low income people or people on government support.

3.) You may not want to limit yourself to Kowloon. Hong Kong is very small and public transportation is very advanced (you will remember my words once you see it). Even if you live in Kowloon Tong, you may want to explore other areas and districts, such as those on the island, which is only few minutes away by subway.

4.) Why would you want to limit your social circles to Americans only? Here you have the opportunity of a lifetime - to meet people of diverse backgrounds and enrich your own life. Why throw that chance away? Make your children learn Cantonese and especially Mandarin. Don't be afraid to enroll them into local schools with local kids. One day they will thank you (and they may become so rich as a result of that, they may not put you in a nursing home).

5.) According to the US consulate, there are about 50,000 Americans in HK, but that number is very likley much higher, as many Americans refuse to register with the US consulate. Keep the big brother out of our lives!

6.) Congratulation on this wonderful opportunity. You are very lucky !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by petrm; 30-03-2005 at 11:53 AM.

>> Kowloon Tong aren't very desirable areas

Absolute disinformation.

Kowloon Tong is a pretty upscale area with some really nice options for residential, shopping and areas like Langham now offer good entertainment and nightlife in Mongkok.

The USRC is in Kowloon and provides a good focal point for americans looking for the comfort of a familiar accent(?).

OK, some disinformation, but not 100%. Unless "KnowItAll" knows it all.

If you prefer the suburban lifestyle (as in LA) and driving your car for every little thing you need to buy or get done, then Kowloon Tong is for you.

However, there are districts in HK, where car is not needed. Imagine, you will not have to make car payments, pay for registration and insurance, no speeding tickets and no parking fees. Life without car can be much easier.

Last edited by petrm; 30-03-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Doesnt exactly sound like "They are known to be areas with low income people or people on government support."

Why would you need a car in Kowloon Tong?

Because most probably you'll have your own garden with plenty of space for a vehicle

Seriously now, it feels like a nice and quiet suburb there with low rise buildings and a car whould help you move around especially if you have a kid. I suggest you take the MTR and go have a look around if you are already here in HK.