Like Tree21Likes

Shortage of (young, unmarried) women, and an oversupply of (young, unmarried) men in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I agree Mat, but people in HK definitely at least talk about infidelity a lot more, for example most men in the UK would never openly talk about using prostitutes, here I hear men boost about it...
    I've also had some ladies tell me that it is 'natural' for a man to eventually cheat on their partners, I'd never hear stuff like that in the UK, people are definitely more conditioned to see infidelity & prostitution as normal and maybe more acceptable here.

dear giant likes this.

Yep, checked some figures, every country except San Marino has an age gap where the man is older than the woman (worldwide average is 2 years but in San Marino the woman is on average 2 months older). It is by far biggest in Africa, followed by Asia, then the rest with Europe the least.

I have a few local friend who dated tons of guys her age, didn't have much money but was able to buy everything she needed. However in the long run, she ended up marrying someone that's 10-15 years older than her, looks like a complete douche and has a good job with an apartment of his own (Not rented).

She said that her parents didn't mind her dating as long as the guy she ends up marrying is "worthy".

dear giant and Drunken Master like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    If we were to go by commercial/ads/TV/Movies, then in most western countries most men would be cheating on their wives with multiple partners all the time. Actually remove "western" and say "most countries".

There is not more infidelity in HK than elsewhere. The US, Europe, Africa, South America, Asia, Oceania are plagued by infidelity. Hardly a HK thing. More a global thing.

As for the young women/older men, one has only to pass by any bar in HK or anywhere else in Asia to see that not only HK men like younger women....

Let's not make a HK thing, something that is truly global (with a few exception perhaps): Men's infidelity and drive for younger ladies.
    Unfortunately, you are wrong. While there is infidelity everywhere, it's really not not as common everywhere else as it is here, though it could be even more common elsewhere (i.e. the Mainland).

I have a feeling that the only cultural differences that you'd be willing to acknowledge would be a higher rate of chopsticks usage or rice consumption.

Just take prostitution for example and for the moment set aside traditional affairs and what goes on when HKers go across the border. In HK, prostitution is pervasive and completely legal (though pimping is illegal). Sex workers reside and work in (usually shabby) residential buildings alongside non-sex-worker tenants in virtually every district. It certainly is not like that in every other place in the world.
    Last edited by dear giant; 29-01-2013 at 04:48 PM.

I can't find more recent data than 2005~2006 at the moment, but the average age of first marriage in Hong Kong (2006) was 31.1 for men and 28.8 for women.

In the UK (2005), that was 30.7 for men and 28.5 for women.

So these gaps are almost exactly the same, and even the absolute ages are very close.

Compare for example with the US (2011): men 28.9 and women 26.9. (slightly smaller gap, but significantly younger ages).

Quote Originally Posted by vantastic:
    I can't find more recent data than 2005~2006 at the moment, but the average age of first marriage in Hong Kong (2006) was 31.1 for men and 28.8 for women.

In the UK (2005), that was 30.7 for men and 28.5 for women.

So these gaps are almost exactly the same, and even the absolute ages are very close.

Compare for example with the US (2011): men 28.9 and women 26.9. (slightly smaller gap, but significantly younger ages).
    Interesting. Your maths is a bit wrong though, gaps are 2.3 HK, 2.2 UK, 2.3 USA. So not a smaller gap in the US but almost identical. In fact it is amazingly consistent.

Why do I even bother posting on a thread where DG is participating...

SMMT, agree with your post and would add that perhaps the reason is that ppl are less hypocrite and more open about it (which does not mean they do it more)

justlooking likes this.

Hull...Yet when I say that it is pretty much the same anywhere...I get shot down...

See you fellas.

Interesting. Your maths is a bit wrong though, gaps are 2.3 HK, 2.2 UK, 2.3 USA. So not a smaller gap in the US but almost identical. In fact it is amazingly consistent.
    28.9 - 26.9 = 2.0 by my brainframe

But yeah, either way - the differences in the gaps are negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Hull...Yet when I say that it is pretty much the same anywhere...I get shot down...

See you fellas.
    Because that is your consistent line, and that of Gilles. Any criticism of HK, "It's the same everywhere it is not a HK thing."
    dear giant and closedcasket like this.