Like Tree40Likes

Opening private mail!

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

I work for a large company, many many years ago I did use the company address to send my bank statements there as I was living in a shitty place in San Po Kong, no front gate, no security, old place and I thought it would be safer to send it to the company, every time I rec'd my letters from the bank it would be pre-opened. I just accepted it as it was the company address I was using, in the end they told me to stop using the companies address and by that time I had moved to a better place.

If you use the companies address, regardless where your from "Oh in my country they dont do that" blah blah blah, just accept it that they will open it, regardless if its say Private / Confidential. If you dont like it then dont send it to your work.

Post secrecy

I am sure the secrecy of the post (mails, letters & parcels) is protected by law in HKG.
    In my country its even a major offence! We take such things very serious.
    Anyhow, private mails should be send to your home address. Even you are at work during delivery, the HKG Post will give you a notice for pick-up or even re-delivery.
    Pls consider, it must be clearly marked, that this mail is private! This, you ensure with a correct way of writing the address!
    When you write:
    Company Ltd
    Att: Mike Mustermann
    or
    Mike Mustermann
    Company Ltd

One means the company can open the mail (Mr Mike is out of Office). The other means is for Mike's eyes only.

Anyhow, coz only a few companies know the rules, you better send private stuff to you home address.

B Rds Jens

It amazes me how black and white some people are.

I guess I have dealt with too many lawyers and company policy issues in a decent sized organization back in Canada to realize that the law is not always black and white.

This would be a good question to add to a job interview as it does contribute to the assessment of people's judgment if given a managerial role. I'd look for someone who could see all sides of the issue and would approach the issue both from an understanding of the law as well as good business sense and good employee relations.

To avoid things like Fiona noted and Proplus(?) and some others makes sense. Also to avoid your firm being the recipient of illegal things as well which could happen.

There is a HK businessman who used a shipping company for US$160,000 of food products in Shanghai. They used the company I think that they were told to do. Shipment was seized as this local company was caught smuggling and their food products were I guess part of the shipment. Despite this guy and his people being cleared and a nice lunch to celebrate that was not this company's doing - they kept his food products!

Fiona in HKG and MovingIn07 like this.

I think this highlights the reason why business owners need to have thorough, transparent and clear work place policies and protocols in place so that there is much less room for misunderstanding and angst.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

Football16 and closedcasket like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    I think this highlights the reason why business owners need to have thorough, transparent and clear work place policies and protocols in place so that there is much less room for misunderstanding and angst.
    And even then, it's still possible for the mailroom dudes to simply make a mistake and open it anyway...so if it's really sensitive material, the safest thing to do is not send it to the office.
    Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    And even then, it's still possible for the mailroom dudes to simply make a mistake and open it anyway...
    To prevent such mistakes or put the company in a bad position otherwise it would probably be smart for the company to discourage or disallow receiving of private mail and adding a disclaimer that the company reserves the right to open any mail addressed to the company's address (for those that still have their private mail sent to there).
    Doesn't mean the company should open such mail but it would protect them from any outfall if mistakes are made or illegal activities by the employee.

so if it's really sensitive material, the safest thing to do is not send it to the office.
    Yep.
    Last edited by Raccon; 07-02-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    closedcasket and Football16 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Methinks he meant to use the word "first" instead of "one".

If it is really sensitive, don't send it to office or to home. Don't want boss or wife to find out. Best is to hire a p.o. Box and send it there.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7