Hard water

tex

Exclamation Hard water

Is it possible for water to be of different hardness in different parts of Mid-levels? After 3.5 yrs in Mid-levels and no problems, we just moved to Macdonnell Rd and are suddenly finding all our whites turn dingy in the wash. Eeek, my sofa covers are white!!I need to solve this before they're due for a wash. We've had the washer checked out, it seems fine. Against my eco-principles we're using fabric softener now, and hot water for the whites. Still, dinge. Anyone else had this problem and solved it?

The problem is apartment blocks ( with decent maintenance ) is that they regularly flush the water systems. They should have put a note on the notice board.

Stay away from those days when you use the washing machine and I always used to make sure all my taps ran clear + ran a rinse cycle on the washing machine.

It cannot be hardness in any meaningful way as its controlled at source and has very little opportunity in the mains to liberate the ions.

Do a glass test on your water . Let is stand for 24hrs and check for sediment. Talk with the building management and find out about their water mains routines.

tex

Thanks Boris. I spoke to a neighbor who said indeed everyone in the building has this problem. When we fill the bathtub with water it is a bit yellowish and my handyman believes the cause is iron pipes. So now we are putting in filters which will hopefully diminish the problem. Cross fingers!