new flu

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Um, nobody's saying it's SARS. It's influenza. People know the vectors for influenza, so taking precautions against them isn't exactly uncalled for here. Not really seeing your argument.

Actually, all I have read says that the only case where the cause has been even partly determined was due to encephalitis of unknown cause. There is no evidence that I have seen (but I'd welcome links to any that you have) for any deaths or serious illness caused by influenza. Or indeed any evidence at all that the influenza around this year is significantly different in scale or impact from that around in any normal year.

My argument is that children die every year from various things (including respiratory diseases). it's sad when it happens, but it isn't a cause for mass hysteria. And far more children die from accidents (whether on the road or elsewhere) than from any other cause. Wearing a mask to school (or even closing schools) isn't going to have any significant effect on a child's well-being. Making sure they wear a seatbelt in a taxi or minibus would.

Last edited by PDLM; 12-03-2008 at 06:11 PM.

PDLM
    Next time you land in your spaceship from Planet Zog -

I refer you to this eloquent and balanced article
    Hong Kong's schoolchildren begin to fall victim to killer flu - Asia, World - Independent.co.uk
    especially this paragraph,
    "Anxious parents have begun sending them to school in surgical masks and have called schools demanding to know what safety measures were being taken. The Government said it would shut any school for disinfection if the virus was confirmed among its children. One mother, Olivia Lo, said: "Now that it is in schools, this may just explode. Schools are so congested and children don't know how to take precautions. If they even suspect an infection, they must close the schools."

It doesn't mater if its Sars , Chicken Flu, Asian Flu et al.
    ANY Viral infections amongst young children, who's immune systems are not fully hardened, must be treated with the utmost seriousness.

It may be different on your planet but here on earth we tend to go with safety first in relation to our children.

Well, I'm not a doctor

but why do they conclude that there is no encephalitis or meningitis, if the chest X-ray is OK?

chest X-rays were clear at the time with no symptoms of encephalitis or meningitis
    Tuen Mun boy with encephalitis dies

Angry

<<<My argument is that children die every year from various things (including respiratory diseases). it's sad when it happens, but it isn't a cause for mass hysteria.

If I hear that a child in my son's class died of an unknown virus, and I keep my son away from school for a few days, am I contributing to this mass hysteria?

"It's sad when it happens..."

Mate.. this did happen. To someone's son and a few days later you are commenting on it from your lofty pedestal because you saw it on the news or read about it in a paper. You are miles away from reality... yes there is media hype mixed in, that stems from concern that the people have and who would like to know what is going on.

Concern vs Argument (your own words above)...

Show a little respect or sympathy and stop arguing.

The Education Bureau just canceled classes at the school I work at for tomorrow. I don't know if it includes any other schools, because I was half-asleep when I got the call, but I wore a mask to work today. Not because I'm sick, but because I've been sick for over 6 weeks this year already and I really don't want to get sick again. I've lost a good 4-5 kg in the last few weeks.

there's a news bulletin today - they're suspending all kindy and primary school for two weeks starting tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    It doesn't mater if its Sars , Chicken Flu, Asian Flu et al.
    ANY Viral infections amongst young children, who's immune systems are not fully hardened, must be treated with the utmost seriousness.

It may be different on your planet but here on earth we tend to go with safety first in relation to our children.
    So in your version of reality how do children develop a solid immune system?

When I was young I had chickenpox, mumps, scarlet fever, measles and German measles.

I haven't had the need to visit a doctor except for sporting injuries for over 20 years.

This is because I have a functioning immune system which was developed by exposure to those viruses when I was young.

If kids are brought up in a sanitised world, never grubbing in the dirt or catching bugs then they run a high chance of being condemned to a life of doctors' surgeries, medications and all sorts of expensive efforts to counteract the fact that their immune systems were not properly primed when they were young.

Yes, the flip side is a very, very small chance that something they get when young will prove fatal or crippling, but for me I'm happy that my parents decided I should take that minuscule chance in return for a healthy adult life.

Quote Originally Posted by Star Gazer:
    there's a news bulletin today - they're suspending all kindy and primary school for two weeks starting tomorrow.
    The insanity starts again. The people running this town are simply not fit for the job.

So Teachers what have u got planned for your extended holidays?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast