Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yi-Long
  • 1 Post By Hkxcoloncleanse

Pigeons, airco's and eggs.

Closed Thread

Pigeons, airco's and eggs.

We've got some pigeons breeding on our aircos. On one of the aircos, the eggs have already hatched, so we're leaving them alone.

However, I just noticed that the pigeon on the airco of our bedroom has also laid an egg, and TBH, it's extremely annoying having these pigeons making a ruckus early in the morning, so I'm thinking of just sweeping all their crap from the airco, hopefully forcing them to hatch elsewhere.

Any laws against this, and/or any advice to keep those flying rats away from our aircos!?

dear giant likes this.

any one can think of any non lethal deterrent solution for this problem as their coo at 6am every so often in morning does irritant the hell out me

Lightbulb

I have pet pigeon (s) (Mine found a mate who I haven't met yet) back in California, and although I disagree that they are flying rats, I agree that their morning cooing can be annoying (although I taught mine to stop).

As for the egg, I think it is fine to remove it...Although I'm not sure whether it is better to keep or destroy it. You could try moving it to a new location while the parents are there. If they are anything like my pigeon, they will be fiesty, so just wear glasses and long-sleeved apparel...Then have them follow you to the new location.

To deter it from moving there again you could place a fake hawk in the spot (hawks eat pigeons). In pigeon society, we have fake eggs that are used to deter them from having more children. That could at least stop the breeding in your aircon.

Good luck, and if you have any further questions I highly recommend visiting the forum "Pigeon Talk". Some of these people house hundreds or thousands of pigeons and are nice people. I'm sure they would know more preventative measures than I would.

dear giant likes this.

Thanks guys...

... we took note of the comments here, but we didn't have the heart to remove the nest.

When the pigeons were gone, we had new AC's installed (cause the old ones were already broken down), and those are inside the room, with the 2nd part having been installed on the balconies, so no problems with pigeons anymore.

Only problem we had was a 2nd new nest was on the AC when the guys came around to fix it, which had one baby bird. Reeked like hell cause those nests are made by poo or something, but I've tried saving the bird by placing it somewhere higher up, but considering the weather and wind a few days later, I don't think the baby made it.