Were you nervous before you moved to HK?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

No, was not nervous. What is there to be nervous about? It's not like you're going to Bhagdad.

In terms of making friends......bottom line is most expats here seem complete bums so be careful. Anyone who uses the term 'work hard, play hard' can be immediately dismissed as a bum. You can find some decent people for sure. it's no big deal.

It is only natural especially if you are moving with a family. However, once you move over things should start falling into place.

I would not worry too much other than the rude people, the crap weather, the pollution.......

lol.. *aggres with katanga* Actually can't say I've met too many rude ppl (thank goodness), another think that I found startling is ppl don't mind pushing u never heard of a q either lol... Can jus imagine it in London " who u think u shoving?" lol..
    Anyways, on the upside,The sun shines (when theres not a typhoon), u can shop til u drop, lots to do and great ppl here. Wat else could u want??

Hi Claire: I first came to Hong Kong in 1997 six months pregnant. The only person I talked to for the first month was my husband - and that was only at night. Luckily I found out about the YWCA on MacDonnel Road. They organized groups of newcomers (all
    women) and we met once a month. It was the best thing I did.. It is hard to meet people but once you do, you just keep meeting more and more.

HK can be a pretty overwhelming place so it is almost good
    that you can take some time to find your way around.

You could contact CAB (Community Advice Bureau) when you get here or check out their website. They are very helpful and
    can give you valuable information on absolutely any topic
    including volunteering.

As for work, there seem to be a lot of tutoring centres and
    language schools looking for native speakers. Not sure how
    much experience you need but many don't pay much but
    will provide sponsorship.
    Good luck and all the best, pp

Last edited by palmer; 27-09-2005 at 04:59 PM.

i'm sure you are all being very helpful....BUT
    CLAIRE WROTE THIS 10 MONTHS AGO!!!!

yeah how the heck did this thread come back like that? i wonder hat happened to her after all...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3