Like Tree52Likes

Office politics in HK vs elsewhere

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Well, maybe you just read the Art of Warfare by Sun Tzu to get some pointers on defeating the enemy.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy"

Speaking of the art of war, there is a pretty interesting documentary on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5jLYgc4nBs

Knowing the theory is great, but knowing how and when to apply it is the key .

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    1 & 2 happen a lot less in my office in HK (esp 2) compared to when I used to work in the UK.

So surprise surprise, every office environment is different even in HK and in the UK and in the USA. Same same, but different.
    I suppose it may also depend on the industry and how your firm is organized. Some industries are known for rampant office politics, while other are less severe. Some firms keep a tight rein on politics to ensure productivity and keep out those who have an agenda. Other firms encourage it behind-the-scenes as a form of office warfare. Still, in HK, I personally find there are more office politics at my firm (and my industry) than elsewhere. Ironically, if local like playing politics so much at work, wonder why the bunch of HK politicians we have are so lousy, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I got similar responses from a few expat friends of mind, maybe it's simply a matter of different work cultures, but they felt local colleagues tend to engage in far more office politicking then comparative office setting back home. One of them joked that HK productivity would "sky-rocket" had his local colleagues spend less time backstabbing and more time getting the actual work done.

Of course, in some cases, the locals may have no choice but to engage in politics.".
    That's EXACTLY what hubby is reporting! He is a local brought up overseas and he is hating the office culture here.
    If only, he says, everyone in his office would stop plotting and just allow him (and others, for that matter) do their job...
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:

3. No one will take ownership of anything for fear of something going wrong and hampering their ascension through the ranks.

4. Managers forcing staff under them to stay back late until they go home, whether the staff have work to do or not.
    Once again, exactly hubby's words!

Original Post Deleted
    You could be right. Of my staff, we have only one professional "local" and he is the only one I have actually noticed engaging in anything that could be described as "office politics". The rest just seem to get on with their work.
    dear giant and TheBrit like this.

I'm interested to know though, which particular industries/profession is more prone to office politics in HK? And which less so? Or is more a matter of the particular firm you happen to work for?

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I'm interested to know though, which particular industries/profession is more prone to office politics in HK? And which less so? Or is more a matter of the particular firm you happen to work for?
    I bet you politicians offices have a lot of politics going on.
    Lootoo likes this.

Office politics in Hong Kong often go on without you knowing. The nicest, sweetest girl in the office is likely sending emails over your head to your supervisor without you knowing.

What I call tattle tailing, is common practice here. My advice to anyone, is watch yourself. Be fair and diplomatic at all times. Don't fully trust anyone. When it comes to jobs...jobs come before friends here. No one cares about you, more than their job.

Cynical? Perhaps. Just be careful.

Peter Mak, elle and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    1. we dont have much of this
    2. we dont have much and way way less than back home.
    3. Not any different than back home.
    4. clearly not where i work.

Conclusion...things differ from one office to another.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile
    I don't disagree with other posters but these answers (#2 and 3) are very plausible if back home for the OP is France and this dude works with a French company or in a group that is not as local oriented in the politics as others. I have seen in a small sample of French cos. the point in number 3.

Now I am no fan of this guy and I have no idea who this is or where he works but from the answers he could be with a client of ours - I know quite well due to the work we do for them including coaching. I would give his answer for 3 there.
    Last edited by Football16; 06-03-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Office politics in Hong Kong often go on without you knowing. The nicest, sweetest girl in the office is likely sending emails over your head to your supervisor without you knowing.

What I call tattle tailing, is common practice here. My advice to anyone, is watch yourself. Be fair and diplomatic at all times. Don't fully trust anyone. When it comes to jobs...jobs come before friends here. No one cares about you, more than their job.

Cynical? Perhaps. Just be careful.
    I totally agree with this. As the only non-local working with various teams of locals, this has most definitely been my experience. The locals turn on anyone and everyone if/when it suits them and are masters of arse-covering. As a Westerner, you have a bigger target painted on you. I dearly wish they'd divert this energy into doing their actual jobs but that isn't their priority.

Let's just say that it's been a learning experience
    dear giant, elle and Watercooler like this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast