Like Tree52Likes

Office politics in HK vs elsewhere

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    I don't disagree with other posters but these answers (#2 and 3) are very plausible if back home for the OP is France and this dude works with a French company or in a group that is not as local oriented in the politics as others. I have seen in a small sample of French cos. the point in number 3.

Now I am no fan of this guy and I have no idea who this is or where he works but from the answers he could be with a client of ours - I know quite well due to the work we do for them including coaching. I would give his answer for 3 there.
    If you don't know then just stop speculating.

I would say that it's a matter of culture. Having grown up in the U.S., we Chinese kids would often get together and bemoan our strict parents, when getting anything less than an A in school would be considered a failure. AFAIK HK is that and more, ultra-competitive, super high density, etc., and the fact is, not everyone can get a 5.00 GPA. As a result, there are a bunch of people who fake it and keep themselves where they are via something other than merit, i.e. politics. It's the same everywhere, it's just magnified here because there are so many people.

Since this is my first post I'd like to introduce myself. I'm originally from HK, moved to the U.S. when I was a child, and now I'm back in HK after 20+ years. I'm looking forward to becoming an active member here!

TheBrit and d-28 like this.

Post anything about the evil inscrutable locals and you're certain to get plenty of support. It doesn't necessarily make it the absolute truth. It's a viewpoint from a particular perspective. Considering that the majority of expat never learn more than a few words of cantonese and have limited interaction with locals, the "expat expertise" is often based on limited local knowledge.

Football16, Mat and imparanoic like this.

Maybe this thread represent what goes on in offices

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Louiseamanda:
    Maybe this thread represent what goes on in offices
    No, I think what usually happens in the playground....

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    Since this is my first post I'd like to introduce myself. I'm originally from HK, moved to the U.S. when I was a child, and now I'm back in HK after 20+ years. I'm looking forward to becoming an active member here!
    Are you sure? As you can see from this very thread, we don't always stay quite on-topic...

[QUOTE=Mat;2316670]If you don't know then just stop speculating.[/QUOTE

Where is any speculation in my post. I think if you could read you would see I was agreeing with you - in fact it was the only post agreeing you. Nice to rat out my post.

Gilles is right. We have our own views of what is right and not right and even though Asian cultures have similarities to each other there are different than Europeans and the Anglo cultures.

Expats can be ethocentric and see everything only from our perspectives.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:

Welcome, joyojc! )

Overseas Chinese have long been a subject of my special interest. I hope to see more of you here!
    When you mentioned the expectation of bringing home only straight A's, I was instantly reminded of good old Amy Chua :-D

In HK the subordinates (a HK word used without flinching) fear their superiors and cow tow.

Where I come from anyone who thinks they are superior gets their car keyed

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Post anything about the evil inscrutable locals and you're certain to get plenty of support. It doesn't necessarily make it the absolute truth. It's a viewpoint from a particular perspective. Considering that the majority of expat never learn more than a few words of cantonese and have limited interaction with locals, the "expat expertise" is often based on limited local knowledge.
    Nevertheless....