Moving to Hong Kong (April 08)

Closed Thread

Moving to Hong Kong (April 08)

OK, So a fairly long one and sorry for this. I am moving to Hong Kong in April. Need some help on a couple of areas. I've gone through as much of the forum as time permits, but having decided to move earlier this week and with job secured, I am running out of time;

1) Best place to live. We have a budget of 12/13k per month and would need 2 bed rooms (I am expecting the 2nd to be a shoebox). I will work in Central, and my fiancée will not be able to work until we are married. I like a quiet-ish life but with fairly easy access to the bars in central and Wan Chai as well. Would sacrifice a longer commute (30 mins +) for more space as being right in the mix of lang kwai or Wan chai is not as important to us as is quality of life.

2) My fiancée will get bored not working. Will she be able to do volunteer work such as at an animal welfare centre or something similar? And if so any suggestions.

3) Bank accounts - I have built up a healthy loathing of HSBC over the past 10 years so want to break ties with them when I get there. Any ideas for a bank with internet banking.

4) Visa runs to Macau. Until we are married, my fiancée will have to get another stamp for her new 30 days - We are planning on getting hitched in June / July time so is this a sustainable option for this amount of time or will the authorities get the hump and not let her in one time.

That's about it for now, but any help gladly accepted.

Adam.

Your girlfriend should look into the courses at the YWCA - it didn't do this but heard they were good and wish I had because it seems a great way to meet people.

English Speaking Members Department - Hong Kong YWCA

if you can prove that you are planning a wedding and that it is iminent (SP?) you can apply for an extended visitor visa.

i would think that all the major banks have internet banking.

she could volunteer at HK Dog Rescue walking dogs.

for that budget, you could try:
    Discovery Bay
    Tung Chung
    Hung Hom
    Laguna City (between Kwun Tong MTR & Lam Tin MTR)
    Sai Kung

each area has a VERY distinct feel. you might want to visit a few areas before you decide on a place to hang your hat.

In addition to Discovery Bay, I would like to recommend Ma Wan/Park Island. The community is smaller than DB, but it's just as convenient to Central (via ~25minute ferry, which runs 24h), as well as being convenient to the Tung Chung line (24h bus to Tsing Yi) and the Tsuen Wan line (24h bus to Kwai Fung). The prices are also more reasonable, and the selection much greater -- Park Island's phase 5 was just completed a short while ago and remains relatively empty.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    if you can prove that you are planning a wedding and that it is iminent (SP?) you can apply for an extended visitor visa.
    I never knew about this, so thank for this,. We are planning to get married in June / July which I think could be termed imminent - I will look into this for sure. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by larac:
    Your girlfriend should look into the courses at the YWCA - it didn't do this but heard they were good and wish I had because it seems a great way to meet people.

English Speaking Members Department - Hong Kong YWCA
    This is excellent - some great courses avilable

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai38:
    In addition to Discovery Bay, I would like to recommend Ma Wan/Park Island. The community is smaller than DB, but it's just as convenient to Central (via ~25minute ferry, which runs 24h), as well as being convenient to the Tung Chung line (24h bus to Tsing Yi) and the Tsuen Wan line (24h bus to Kwai Fung). The prices are also more reasonable, and the selection much greater -- Park Island's phase 5 was just completed a short while ago and remains relatively empty.
    Park Island is high on my list to be fair due to the peaceful environment, and the club house as well. Just concerned about the ferry though as I love the idea of sailing to work, but 10-15 minute walk to the pier in pouring rain would get me down pretty quickly. Any input gratefully received.

Also, anyone know of any 2 bed furnished apartments for rent next month in this area, please get in touch. A balcony would be the icing on the cake and would spend a little bit more money for this type of luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by larac:
    Your girlfriend should look into the courses at the YWCA
    Strictly she can't do that on a visitor's visa. The simple answer is to get married - it takes 15 days and a couple of thousand HK$.

i think so long as it's a short "interest" course, she'd have no problem visa-wise...like a 3 day chinese cooking course in china type of thing

a "welcome to hong kong" course would be perfectly acceptable visa-wise