Like Tree11Likes

Urbtix (CityLine) - grumble

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Urbtix (CityLine) - grumble

Most companies upgrade their websites when traffic is lighter, so customers are less inconvenienced, but oh no, not the Urbtix website, which is powered by Cityline.

I realise it's only 20 minutes but really??!!? That's got to be a busier time than, say, 3:30 am.

The system will undergo daily updating starting from 09:40 AM (HK time). During the period, ticket purchase service (including member login) will not be available but users can still browse performance information. All service will resume normal at 10:00 AM.

But wait, there's more...

Internet ticketing service will be suspended from 10:00pm on 13 March to 8:00am on 14 March for system maintenance.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
    So they can and do do overnight maintenance, yet choose to do a daily update in the morning when people are likely to want to book.

Double
    dear giant likes this.

Do you like working at 3:30am in the morning (considering it's only a 20min job)?

It doesn't have to be at 3:30am, obviously. But I'm sure I'm not the only person who gets to the office in the morning and wants to quickly book tickets.

they probably don't want to pay the overtime

dear giant likes this.

Brit, it's every morning.

The system will undergo daily updating starting from 09:40 AM (HK time). During the period, ticket purchase service (including member login) will not be available but users can still browse performance information. All service will resume normal at 10:00 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    It doesn't have to be at 3:30am, obviously. But I'm sure I'm not the only person who gets to the office in the morning and wants to quickly book tickets.
    Nothing more important than doing private business first when getting to work in the morning, eh?
    dear giant, Claire ex-ax and Koen like this.

Sounds like they are importing some data in a batch process every morning, nothing unusual there.
    It's pretty standard practise for IT systems to have an import/export process which synchronises separate systems.

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    It's pretty standard practise for IT systems to have an import/export process which synchronises separate systems.
    True but it shows some very poor planning to be doing such activities during regular business hours and cutting off your customers in the process.

Also, we are not in the 1960s - sync processing can be easily designed to be executed without the data store being taken offline.

It sounds like lazy programming or lazy management (or both)...

HC - agreed on both fronts, but remember where you are, cheaper is always better!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast