PR speculation

Closed Thread

PR speculation

What will happen come 2047 when Hong Kong is returned to the motherland?

Any ideas on how this will unfold? Specifically, how will HK permanent residents be handled? Without a border, will they be free to live and work anywhere in China?

Do you foresee HK ending the PR after 7 years rule anytime soon?

Is it really worth as much for someone born today?

By then the line between Zhuhai, Macau, Shenzhen and HK will be meaningless IMO. By 2047 HK will be part of the megacity and just another Chinese city, albeit an important one.

I've never seen it defined what happens in 2047. It isn't obvious to me that all the separate HK structures (and the border) will cease to exist. The agreement simply guarantees that they will exist until then. It doesn't say they will disappear on 1 July 2047.

You don't have to wait until 2047. Hong Kong is already Peking's bitch. People who've been around here before 2004 will confirm how much the city has changed. Another 15 years and them Chicomms have ruined the pearl of the orient for good. God Bless The Free World.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    By then the line between Zhuhai, Macau, Shenzhen and HK will be meaningless IMO. By 2047 HK will be part of the megacity and just another Chinese city, albeit an important one.

So would you guess that a HK permanent resident (without being ethnic chinese) will be able to work/live anywhere in China?

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    So would you guess that a HK permanent resident (without being ethnic chinese) will be able to work/live anywhere in China?
    Would only be guessing but I suspect it will be a long time until Beijing stops micro-managing the movement of its peeps.