Like Tree4Likes

Wedding invitation including a red pocket etc

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Congrats!

I'm surprised your local fiance want able to answer you on these questions.

It has to be cake vouchers. There is a specific saying that when girls or women get married they have to treat their friends and families to cakes.

Unless you are a tycoon, everyone exists you to give $20. I have had some rich friends get married and everyone of them have $20. Sick to it and no one will call you cheap as they understand how expensive it will get for you two to give $50 per person.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

I understand it's custom to include a small red pocket with a little bit of money (together with the invitation) in addition to some cake vouchers. Funny.
    You think that's funny? In some cultures it's 'normal' to throw bits of coloured paper over the newlyweds and tie rubbish to the back of their car....

Thanks for the info guys and thanks for the best wishes. It's gonna be quite a day. Going all out with ceremonies and banquet.

My fiancee can certainly answer these questions. But I just want to make sure that say $20 is indeed appropriate, and not just ok enough, by asking you guys, as some of you probably been down this road. Not worried about how I'm perceived, but want to ensure that her family is happy as I know these things can be a little sensitive (culturally). $20 and cake vouchers it is (vouchers has already been bought..).

@ INXS; just meant to say I think it's funny how things work sometimes. And yes, tying rubbish to the back of their cars is indeed funny too. Not judging. Just my opinion.

Last edited by MASTER-OF-HK; 11-04-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-HK:
    Thanks for the info guys and thanks for the best wishes. It's gonna be quite a day. Going all out with ceremonies and banquet.

My fiancee can certainly answer these questions. But I just want to make sure that say $20 is indeed appropriate, and not just ok enough, by asking you guys, as some of you probably been down this road. Not worried about how I'm perceived, but want to ensure that her family is happy as I know these things can be a little sensitive (culturally). $20 and cake vouchers it is (vouchers has already been bought..).

@ INXS; just meant to say I think it's funny how things work sometimes. And yes, tying rubbish to the back of their cars is indeed funny too. Not judging. Just my opinion.
    Forgot to say congratulations, the day passes by so quick so make sure to stop once in a while during the day to take it all in and enjoy it.

Once other thing to note since you are marrying a local girl. There is also a custom whereby the groom along with his groomsmen will need to pick up the bride from her house or her parents apartment.
    In order to gain entry to the apartment, the bridesmaids will wait inside and you will have to bribe them with a red packet through the front door. Inside this red packet will be a pre-set amount which will be shared among the bridesmaids later as part of their "thank-you" present. The amount typically is along the lines of HKD 999.90 as the number nine represents longevity in Chinese culture.

Once you gain access to the apartment, you and your groomsmen will be subjected to games made up by the bridesmaids in order to test your love for your future bride. These games can be anything from you and your groomsmen painting each other with lipstick and makeup, to kissing through a glass frame. It is all in good fun and you certainly won't forget the experience. Although you should make sure you and your groomsmen clip their toenails and wash their feet prior to the games - you have been warned!

Once you have passed these tests, you will be allowed to enter the bedroom where your bride to be will be waiting for you.