Like Tree4Likes

Wedding invitation including a red pocket etc

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wedding invitation including a red pocket etc

Hey guys,

So I'm getting married later this year. Already sent out Save the Dates but now it's time to send out the actual invitations.

I'm getting married to a local, and to those we're inviting locally, I understand it's custom to include a small red pocket with a little bit of money (together with the invitation) in addition to some cake vouchers. Funny. Anyway, do you guys know what's suitable in terms of money in each invitation?

We're not talking about the red pocket money to us at the banquet, but inside the invitations. I've heard $10-20 is the norm, but I don't want to seem cheap. But it's just a symbolic gesture. But still.

Any experience with this?

Yup it's $20

MASTER-OF-HK and HKITperson like this.

Firstly, congrats.

I don't think we bothered with the red packet, just the Maxim vouchers.

But, each to their own.

Pin

Were the vouchers tax deductible per chance?

Yes definately $20 plus cake vouchers

can they be park'n'shop vouchers

Cake vouchers and red packet to the bride's guests. Just the red packet to the groom's guest.

The amount inside the red packet is dependent on your perceived earning status among your guests. Always up for debate and can be anywhere from HKD 10 - 100.

It is also Chinese custom to have a little table gift for each guest which can range in price from HKD 20-100 which are placed next to each table setting at the banquet.

MASTER-OF-HK likes this.

Don't worry about the amount of the red packet. It's just a symbolic return gift for the red packet you will receive from your guests and could be any amount. I have seen $10 and $20 in Hong Kong and up to 100% of the red packet for some parts in China where it is custom to return 100%. Chinese believe if the flow of money is continued it will give luck to all.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Pin

Were the vouchers tax deductible per chance?
    I wouldn't have it any other way.

Actually the whole wedding was a tax write off (and a profit making scheme). Isn't that the point of weddings? Otherwise, why bother getting married?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I wouldn't have it any other way.

Actually the whole wedding was a tax write off (and a profit making scheme). Isn't that the point of weddings? Otherwise, why bother getting married?
    If you don't get married your gf will divorce you....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast