Like Tree7Likes

No theft in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I've seen food supplies left in restaurant doorways in Greenwich, SE London, as recently as a few years ago. I guess it doesn't get nicked as often as you might think...

I've been thinking about this post in the back of my mind. As I've attempted lately to "enjoy my neighborhood", which is the area you're referring to, I've been left feeling robbed myself by these "boutique" cafes. After paying $53 yesterday for a coffee (which I read as being $48 which was already pushing my limits, and which DID push my limits when I saw the very small size of it! Turns out there was a service charge, too!) and after paying $70 for a very basic breakfast sandwich at two local cafes here.... is it really surprising there is no theft in this neighborhood? This area is so elite that there simply doesn't even happen to be anyone wandering around who is so desperate or food that they would steal. I'm not exactly sure it's something to pat yourself on your back about (I mean "you" in a general sense, not personally). Let's not even talk about the rent prices here...

I actually recently lived in Greenwich, SE London, too, and I never saw any vegetable boxes being left on doorsteps. There ARE homeless people, though, in Greenwich, and plenty of drunk uni students up for being twats.

Anyway, I am beginning to feel a bit disgusted by the exclusiveness of Sheung Wan/Central and that if you are privileged enough to be here you have to PAY to be in a place because it's a cool place because you have to PAY to be there (i.e. you're not paying for special or quality products).

Your choice for living there.

MovingIn07 and chris_yang22 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Your choice for living there.
    That is true, and I generally enjoy living here -- I just think I'll be making my coffee and breakfast sandwiches only at home, now!

I can't exactly say it was my explicit choice to live in Hong Kong, though. I enjoy seeing different perspectives/lifestyles around the world, but I think so far the best quality of life I've ever, plus the least I've spent, is in the former East Germany. They leave their vegetable delivery boxes on doorsteps there, AND you can get away with only paying 500 euros a month for a decent flat!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    After paying $53 yesterday for a coffee (which I read as being $48 which was already pushing my limits, and which DID push my limits when I saw the very small size of it! Turns out there was a service charge, too!) and after paying $70 for a very basic breakfast sandwich at two local cafes here....
    My lunch here in Kwai Fong in a nice chinese restaurant is $48. And that's really 48, no service charge extra. Soup, tea, rice and a mince and green bean dish with chopped olives that tastes fabulous.

You really WERE being ripped off!
    Cwbguy and INXS like this.

....I've been left feeling robbed myself by these "boutique" cafes. After paying $53 yesterday for a coffee (which I read as being $48 which was already pushing my limits, and which DID push my limits when I saw the very small size of it! Turns out there was a service charge, too!) and after paying $70 for a very basic breakfast sandwich at two local cafes here.... is it really surprising there is no theft in this neighborhood? This area is so elite that there simply doesn't even happen to be anyone wandering around who is so desperate or food that they would steal.......Anyway I am beginning to feel a bit disgusted by the exclusiveness of Sheung Wan/Central and that if you are privileged enough to be here you have to PAY to be in a place because it's a cool place because you have to PAY to be there (i.e. you're not paying for special or quality products).
    I think the key words here are "boutique" and "breakfast sandwich". This usually signifies expat level pricing so if you're looking for a bargain breakfast, you're looking in the wrong places.

There are plenty of poor people living in Central/Sheung Wan but they don't eat breakfast sandwiches and drink coffee in boutique cafes. I imagine they don't drink coffee or eat sandwiches full stop.

I'm not criticising you - I much prefer coffee and a panini for breakfast to congee and tea - but it seems a little unfair to say an area is elite and there are no poor people living there because the locals have different tastes to you (and me!)
    vmlinuz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I think the key words here are "boutique" and "breakfast sandwich". This usually signifies expat level pricing so if you're looking for a bargain breakfast, you're looking in the wrong places.

There are plenty of poor people living in Central/Sheung Wan but they don't eat breakfast sandwiches and drink coffee in boutique cafes. I imagine they don't drink coffee or eat sandwiches full stop.

I'm not criticising you - I much prefer coffee and a panini for breakfast to congee and tea - but it seems a little unfair to say an area is elite and there are no poor people living there because the locals have different tastes to you (and me!)
    I understand - I actually went out in search of a local place, but they were closed. In the end I figured I wasn't really paying at all for the food/service, but for the place to sit (outside).

Are there really people in these areas that cannot afford to eat? I know of one homeless person who sleeps near Hollywood Park -- but once when I saw him waking up, he was making himself tea.

I understand - I actually went out in search of a local place, but they were closed. In the end I figured I wasn't really paying at all for the food/service, but for the place to sit (outside).

Are there really people in these areas that cannot afford to eat? I know of one homeless person who sleeps near Hollywood Park -- but once when I saw him waking up, he was making himself tea.
    Sometimes I see people taking left over foods in McDonalds during midnights. Not many though, so I don't think they have an issue feeding themselves.

They have their areas. I mean I'm not certain how they'll be able to cook if they don't have home, but there are Government Municipal in many districts (Ie. Sheung Wan and WanChai) where one of the floor is dedicated to selling cooked foods. Price typically ranges from $20-$30 for lunch with a drink, main course, and soup. So foods can be fairly inexpensive.
    Last edited by Creative83; 17-04-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I think the key words here are "boutique"
    I thought the literal meaning of "boutique" was " we give you less for a lot more money and you can pretend to be exclusive"
    Elegiaque likes this.

I've left a book (my hardcopy of 1Q84 actually) at a Pacific Coffee to save my seat when I went to the counter to pick up my coffee. I grabbed my coffee, headed off to the side to get some tissue ... and when I got back to my seat, my book was gone... (and some hobo was sitting there).

I'm pretty sure the hobo stole my book, but I couldn't prove it. Oh well , the Pacific Coffee closed down (it was the one at Lee Theater in CWB)