Like Tree5Likes

Mtr child tickets

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

There are 3 monthly passes for specific journeys: tung chun to hk is one, I forget the other 2. But there isn't a monthly pass for unlimited journeys like in other cities.

Most people just get an octopus. You can link it to your credit card so it never runs out - its a smart card that you can use to pay for MTR fare, bus fares, in convenience stores and supermarkets, for parking, at machines (like drink machines etc). You can't really live in HK without one.

As to fare - exactly - from where to where? Unless you are crossing the harbour or going to Lu Wo, fares are dirt cheap. If your child takes space or a seat, just pay for him. You get special child octopus cards so you only pay the child fare.

seriously, how often will a 3 yr ride the mtr? i am sure $10 $20 will not break your bank.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    seriously, how often will a 3 yr ride the mtr? i am sure $10 $20 will not break your bank.
    Most days.

as many kids attend school at 2y8m, I would say many 3yo ride daily...

For the sake of arguing, majority of the kids ride the school bus in Hong Kong.

For the sake of arguing, majority of the kids ride the school bus in Hong Kong.
    Stand outside (for one) Kowloon Tong MTR exit D on a weekday morning...you will see dozens of kindy kids streaming to school, helper in tow...

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    How is it stealing? The mtr conditions state a child is 3 years old if they are 95cm or above.
    What they say is:
    "child" means a person who is aged 3 or above but under 12; a passenger is deemed to be aged 3 or above if such person's height is or exceeds 95 cm;
    As I read it that means a "child" is those aged between 3 and 12 and those aged under 3 but over 95cm tall.

A 4 year old of any height is a child to my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    What they say is:As I read it that means a "child" is those aged between 3 and 12 and those aged under 3 but over 95cm tall.

A 4 year old of any height is a child to my understanding.
    Or it could mean if you're 3 years old, but not 95cm, you don't need a ticket. (Which is also what those giraffe measuring posters by the turnstiles imply). If they said you need a ticket if you are 3 years *or* at least 95 cm tall, I'd agree with you but to say someone is 3 years old if they are 95cm tall is open to abuse/interpretation. It's very badly worded.

We had the same problem with our tall two year old. She learnt to duck under the turnstile.

Oh and I know Grunt, terrible to teach kids to cheat (bit like hiring part-time helpers )